Wer waren die Deer Touchers?

Wer waren die Deer Touchers?


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Vor ungefähr 20 Jahren las ich in einer Zeitschrift (ich weiß nicht mehr welche Zeitschrift) einen Artikel über einen Stamm von Eingeborenen (ich glaube, sie waren Nordamerikaner), der eine Tradition von lebende Rehe berühren. Sie zogen sich zu einem Lendenschurz aus, erstickten ihre Körper mit Asche aus einem Feuer, um ihren Geruch zu überdecken, steckten Gras und Zweige in ihre Haare und gingen dann sehr leise und langsam (~80 Sekunden pro Schritt) bis zu den Hirschen. Der Test bestand darin, zu sehen, ob sie sich dem Reh nähern konnten, ohne dass es sie bemerkte oder registrierte, dass es sich um ein Lebewesen handelte, und als Beweis für ihre Leistung ein Haar aus ihrem Schwanz zupfen. Einige der verwendeten Techniken bestanden darin, zu versuchen, sich wie ein Busch zu verhalten, der sich im Wind schaukelt, einige Männer bekamen ihre Haare, indem sie ihre Arme wie Äste ausstreckten und ihre Finger durch das Hirschfell kämmten, während es ohne ihre Anwesenheit vorbeiging und schnell einen Schwanz zupfte Haare in letzter Sekunde.

Ich versuche, diesen Stamm von Menschen wiederzuentdecken, aber ich hatte bisher kein Glück, sie zu finden. Weiß jemand, wer sie waren?


„The Man Who Touches Deer“, von Bill Heavey, Field and Stream, Oktober 2000, S. 44.

Der Artikel ist ein Interview des Naturforschers Tom Brown Jr., der behauptet, er sei als Kind von einem Lipan-Apachen-Scout unterrichtet worden.


Die Geschichte des Weißwedelhirsches

Wissenschaftler glauben, dass Hirsche einst bitterkalte Regionen rund um den Polarkreis bewohnten. Erst vor etwa 4 Millionen Jahren wanderten die ersten Hirsche in das aus, was wir heute die Vereinigten Staaten nennen.

Hirsche waren ein wesentlicher Bestandteil des Lebens der amerikanischen Ureinwohner. Fleisch und Knochenmark machten einen großen Teil ihrer Ernährung aus. Indianer verwendeten Häute für Kleidung, Teppiche, Decken, Netzstrümpfe und dergleichen. Sie stellten Pfeilspitzen, Keulen, Angelhaken und Werkzeuge aus Knochen her.

Die ersten Siedler Amerikas labten sich an verschiedenen Tieren wie Truthähnen und Auerhähnen. Dann entdeckten sie den großen Virginia-Weißschwanz. Die amerikanischen Ureinwohner brachten den Kolonisten bei, wie man ein Reh effizient nutzt und jedes Stück Fleisch, Haut und Knochen verwendet.

Im Laufe der Zeit sind die Hirschbestände Schwankungen unterworfen. Der erste große Rückgang war mit dem Pelzhandel verbunden. Die amerikanischen Ureinwohner töteten schätzungsweise 5 Millionen Hirsche pro Jahr, um den Handel zu versorgen. In den frühen 1800er Jahren stiegen die Populationen aufgrund eines Rückgangs der Pelzverkäufe und der natürlichen Ausbreitung von Hirschen in neue Lebensräume wieder an. Dieser Anstieg hielt jedoch nicht lange an.

Die zügellose Marktjagd in den späten 1800er Jahren reduzierte die Weißschwanzpopulation auf ein Allzeittief von 500.000, und in einigen Gebieten verschwanden Rehe und Böcke vollständig. 1900 wurde der Lacy Act, das erste Bundesgesetz über Wildtiere, erlassen. Lacy verbot den zwischenstaatlichen Handel mit Wild und anderem Wild, und die Ausbeutung der Weißwedel begann sich zu verlangsamen. 1908 richteten 41 Bundesstaaten Naturschutzabteilungen ein, um den Schutz der Hirsche zu fördern.

Die Weltwirtschaftskrise hat die Amerikaner hart getroffen. Aber es war Boomzeit für Whitetails im Osten, Süden und Mittleren Westen. Als die Menschen vom Land strömten, um in den Städten ihren Lebensunterhalt zu verdienen, keimten auf verlassenen Farmen und Heimstätten Unkraut, Gestrüpp und Setzlinge. Biologen und Sportler begannen zu erkennen, dass Amerikas sich verändernder Lebensraum gut für die wachsende Zahl von Hirschen war. Früher galten Weißwedel als Bewohner großer, zusammenhängender Wälder und waren für immer als “edge”-Tiere bekannt.

In den späten 1950er Jahren entwickelte ein Biologe namens Crockford ein Dart-Gun-System zum Fangen von Hirschen. Diese Technologie, zusammen mit zukünftigen Erfindungen wie dem Kanonennetz, spielte eine Schlüsselrolle bei der erfolgreichen Wiederauffüllung der Weißschwänze in den Vereinigten Staaten.

Bis 1970 wuchs die Weißschwanzpopulation in den unteren 48 Staaten stetig. Jahrelang hatten Jäger es für ein Verbrechen gehalten, ein Reh zu erschießen. Doch eine bahnbrechende Studie aus dem Jahr 1974 änderte das. Wissenschaftler M. L. Walls stellte fest, dass das langfristige Management boomender Hirschherden die Ernte sowohl von Böcken als auch von Hirschen umfassen sollte. Die Staaten begannen nach und nach mit der Einführung von “Doe Days” und “antlerless’ Jagdsaisons.

Die Whitetail-Populationen stiegen in den 1980er und 󈨞er Jahren weiter an. Ein Grund dafür war ein solides Wildmanagement. Und dann war da noch die Zersiedelung der Vorstädte. In vielen Regionen bauten immer mehr Menschen Einfamilienhäuser in ehemals ländlichen Gebieten und schufen ein Schachbrett aus “farmettes” und kleinen Landgütern. Bauherren haben in Farmen und Wäldern Unterteilungen, Golfplätze und Einkaufszentren geschaffen. Ironischerweise schuf dies ideale Streifen- und Taschenlebensräume für den anpassungsfähigen Whitetail, der ein unheimliches Talent hat, neben dem Menschen zu leben. Dieser Trend setzt sich auch im neuen Jahrtausend fort und ist nicht ohne Schattenseiten. Eine wachsende Zahl von Hirschen verwüstet Sträucher, Obstbäume und Feldfrüchte und verursacht jährlich Schäden in Höhe von Hunderten Millionen Dollar im Mittleren Westen, Nordosten und Südosten. In vielen Bundesstaaten nehmen Kollisionen zwischen Hirschen und Autos zu.

Heute ist der Weißwedelhirsch Odocoileus virginianus das am weitesten verbreitete Reh der Welt. Wissenschaftler erkennen 30 Unterarten des Weißschwanzes in Nord- und Mittelamerika und weitere acht in Südamerika. Die Weißschwanzpopulation Nordamerikas wird auf 20-25 Millionen Tiere geschätzt. Der Whitetail ist mit Abstand das beliebteste Wild in den USA und wird jeden Herbst von etwa 11 Millionen Jägern gejagt.


Die Geschichte von John Deere – Vom frühen Pflug bis zum Ackerschlepper

Der John Deere Traktor ist eine der beständigsten Ikonen des amerikanischen Farmlebens. Der Traktorenhersteller John Deere wurde 1837 gegründet und seine Gründungsgeschichte ist eng mit der Entwicklung des Stahlpfluges verwoben. Der Wunsch von Deere, ein unvollkommenes Pflugdesign zu verbessern, führte zur Gründung des seit 177 Jahren führenden Traktorenunternehmens der Welt, das heute als Deere Company bekannt ist.

Die Geschichte des Firmengründers reicht bis ins Jahr 1804 zurück, als John Deere in Rutland, Vermont, geboren wurde. Mit 17 Jahren begann er als Schmiedelehrling und baute innerhalb von vier Jahren seinen eigenen Schmiedebetrieb auf. Deeres Arbeit bestand darin, Heugabeln, Hufeisen und andere notwendige Geräte für die Landwirtschaft herzustellen. Die Natur seines gewählten Handwerks in Verbindung mit dem lokalen Wirtschaftsklima machte es für Deere notwendig, von Stadt zu Stadt zu ziehen. Im Alter von 33 Jahren beschloss er, nach Westen zu ziehen und kam in Grand Detour, Illinois, zur Ruhe.

Ein Großteil der Arbeiten von John Deere beinhaltete die wiederholte Reparatur von Gusseisen- und Holzpflügen, was ihm bewies, dass diese Pflugkonstruktionen nicht stark genug waren, um die Präriegras und den schweren Boden von Illinois zu durchschneiden. Deere nahm seine eigenen Designänderungen vor und baute einen leichten polierten Stahlpflug aus einem gebrochenen Stahlsägeblatt. Der von ihm geschaffene Pflug schnitt effizient durch die harte Grasnarbe des Mittleren Westens und war selbstreinigend, was bedeutet, dass er sich selbst von der geschnittenen Grasnarbe reinigen konnte, sodass sie während der Arbeit nicht ständig gereinigt werden musste. Bis 1838 baute und verkaufte er drei seiner Pflüge an lokale Bauern, 10 im folgenden Jahr und 40 im darauffolgenden Jahr. Deere arbeitete mit Leonard Andrus zusammen und bis 1846 konnten sie zusammen fast 1.000 Pflüge herstellen.

1847 hatte Deere das Gefühl, dass die Geschäfte in Moline, Illinois, am Mississippi River, besser laufen würden. Es wäre einfacher und kostengünstiger, seine Waren über den Fluss zu transportieren. Er verkaufte seinen Teil der Schmiede an seinen Partner und zog nach Moline. Bis 1850 fertigte Deere 1600 Pflüge pro Jahr sowie zusätzliches Werkzeug für die Stahlpflüge. Der Stahlpflug von John Deere galt damals als hochmodernes landwirtschaftliches Gerät. Das verwendete Material und die Form des Pflugs waren revolutionär und wurden ständig weiterentwickelt, da Deere auf das Feedback seiner Kunden hörte und das Design entsprechend anpasste.

1875 stellte John Deere seinen ersten Aufsitzpflug vor. Es war der zweirädrige, pferdegetriebene Gilpin Sulky Pflug. 1888 wurden dampfbetriebene Pflüge hergestellt und 1892 verkaufte ein anderer Erfinder, John Froelich aus Iowa, die ersten beiden benzinbetriebenen Traktoren. Diese und viele andere frühe Konstruktionen von benzinbetriebenen Traktoren hatten ihren Anfang in Iowa, aber es war die John Deere Company in Illinois, die aus der Masse ausbrach und zum Marktführer für landwirtschaftliche Geräte wurde.

1971 wurde der Slogan “Nothing Runs Like a Deere” eingeführt, um für ihre neu veröffentlichte Schneemobillinie zu werben. 1983 wurde die Schneemobillinie beendet, aber der Slogan blieb.

Einer der frühesten Stahlpflüge von Deere ist heute in der Smithsonian Institution untergebracht.


Die Rückkehr des Weißwedelhirsches

Es herrscht die allgemeine Überzeugung, dass der Artenschutz ein Verlustgeschäft ist. Die Vernichtung der Büffelherden, das Schicksal der Wandertaube, sind allgemein bekannt. In unserer Zeit sehen wir den Schreikranich und den Kalifornischen Kondor am Rande des Aussterbens. Aber der Artenschutz blieb nicht ohne Erfolg. Und keine war spektakulärer als die Wiederherstellung des Virginia-Weißwedelhirsches in den Wäldern des Ostens und des Mittleren Westens.

Ursprünglich bewohnten etwa dreißig Sorten (Unterarten) des Weißwedelhirsches Nordamerika. Die meisten bewohnten die Ränder des großen östlichen Hartholzwaldes, der von der Atlantikküste bis zum Mississippi-Tal reichte. Westlich der Wälder dominierten Maultierhirsche und Elche, obwohl einige Weißwedel die Dickichte im Sumpfland rund um die Flüsse der Great Plains durchstreiften. Der kleine Sonora-Weißschwanz bewohnte die Ausläufer um die große südwestliche Wüste, und in den nördlichen Rocky Mountains und im pazifischen Nordwesten traten lokal viele weitere Unterarten auf. Nördlich einer Linie, die ungefähr von Minneapolis nach Portland, Maine, verlief, boten dichte Fichten-, Tannen- und Kiefernwälder nur wenig Nahrung für Hirsche.

Der Weißschwanz erreichte die größte Häufigkeit auf Inseln und um Sümpfe der Atlantik- und Golfküste sowie in den Busch- und Graslandschaften, die die östlichen Harthölzer und die Great Plains trennten. Es drang nie tief in das jungfräuliche Holz des Hochlandes ein, wo die ineinander verschlungenen Kronen und Äste riesiger Bäume die Erde beschatteten und die Entwicklung des üppigen Unterholzes der Hirsche nach Nahrung hemmten. Aber selbst im Hochland erlaubten gelegentliche Brüche in den Baumkronen das Wachstum von Hirschfutter und die Anwesenheit von Hirschen. Seeufer und Flussufer trugen Dickicht von Unterholz. Biber, die an allen östlichen Bächen verbreitet sind, halfen den Hirschen durch ihre Schneide- und Überschwemmungsaktivitäten. Wirbelstürme und Tornados schnitten Schwaden, die bald mit Setzlingen, Sträuchern und Weinreben bedeckt wurden, die zwischen verworrenen Windfällen wuchsen.

Die meisten Ostindianer führten ein halbnomadisches Dasein und zogen alle paar Jahre unter dem Druck feindlicher Angriffe oder wegen erschöpfter Getreidefelder weiter. Alle Waldstämme setzten Feuer ausgiebig ein – um Gartenflächen und Heimstätten zu säubern, Überraschungsangriffe zu minimieren, Wild zu treiben oder die Jagd zu verbessern. Verbranntes Land umgab die meisten Indianerdörfer kilometerweit, und jedes verlassene oder nicht intensiv bewirtschaftete Land wurde bald mit idealer Wildnahrung und Deckung wiederbegrünt. Tatsächlich hat der Indianer wahrscheinlich dazu beigetragen, viel mehr Hirsche zu schaffen, als er tötete.

Dies war der größte Teil der Geschichte des östlichen Hirsches vor dem 17. Jahrhundert. Wie viele es damals waren, weiß niemand. Aber das Muster der weißen Exploration und Besiedlung vermittelte wahrscheinlich einen irreführenden Eindruck von Fülle. Die Besiedelung begann im Küstentiefland, wie in Jamestown, oder auf verlassenem Indianerland, wie in Plymouth, und die Erkundung des Landesinneren folgte normalerweise den Flüssen, durch einige der schönsten Hirschlebensräume im Osten.

Die koloniale Landwirtschaft war eine Erweiterung der indischen Methoden, da die Weißen auch Feuer benutzten, um das Land zu roden. Aber die koloniale Landwirtschaft war weitaus ausgedehnter, und selten erlaubten die Weißen, dass das Land wieder in Wald umgewandelt wurde. Gerodetes Land, das nicht sofort für neue Siedlungen genutzt wurde, wurde wiederholt niedergebrannt, um Grasland zu erhalten. Eine wachsende Zahl von Rindern, Schafen, Pferden, Ziegen und Schweinen wurde größtenteils auf dem offenen Gelände aufgezogen und konkurrierte mit Hirschen, wo sich geeignetes Wildgehege entwickelte. Nicht lange nach der Revolution waren die meisten Urwälder östlich der Appalachen abgeholzt und das Land niedergebrannt – in vielen Fällen nicht einmal, sondern dutzende Male.

Trotz dieser Zerstörung ihres Lebensraums blieben die Hirsche bestehen. Zwischen den weit auseinander liegenden Städten gab es Ländereien, in denen Licht und Abholzung ihre Reichweite verbesserten. Es gab Sümpfe – wie Virginias Dismal Swamp – die der Zerstörung durch Feuer und Entwässerung trotzten. Es gab felsige Schluchten und Berge, die zum Ackerbau oder zum Weiden zu zerklüftet waren. Alle diese beherbergten Hirsche. Aber sie boten auch dem Puma und dem Timberwolf, den traditionellen natürlichen Feinden des Weißwedels, Zuflucht. Und sie wurden bald zu den Lieblingsplätzen dieses noch tödlicheren Raubtiers – des Fleisch- und Marktjägers.

Wild und Wildleder wurden mit den ersten Anlandungen in St. Augustine, Jamestown und Plymouth zu Grundnahrungsmitteln der kolonialen Wirtschaft. Als der Indianer erfuhr, dass eine Hirschkeule einen Meter Kattun oder eine Handelsaxt wert war, fing er Rehe ein, fing sie ein und schoss sie, wo immer er ihnen begegnete. Um 1630 hatten viele Küstenstämme Zugang zu europäischen Schusswaffen, und ein indischer Jäger mit einer Waffe konnte fünf oder sechs Hirsche an einem Tag töten.

Der Hirsch ging während des 17. Jahrhunderts entlang der Atlantikküste rapide zurück. Am 4. Februar 1646 ordnete die Stadt Portsmouth, Rhode Island, eine Schonzeit für die Hirschjagd an „vom ersten Mai bis zum ersten November, und wenn jemand innerhalb dieser Zeit einen Hirsch erlegt, verliert er fünf Pfund …“ Verordnung legte ein Muster für Gesetze fest, die von den meisten Kolonien bis 1720 angenommen wurden.

Die Präambel des Connecticut-Gesetzes spiegelte die offizielle Sorge um die Zukunft der Hirsche wider: Das Töten von Hirschen zu ungewöhnlichen Zeiten des Jahres ist sehr auf das Vorurteil der Kolonie zurückzuführen, da eine große Anzahl von ihnen im tiefen Schnee gejagt und vernichtet wurde wenn sie sehr arm und groß sind, sind das Fleisch und die Häute von sehr geringem Wert und die Vermehrung stark behindert.

Und im Jahr 1705 stellte die Generalversammlung in Newport, Rhode Island, fest, dass sie informiert wurde, dass in dieser Kolonie außerhalb der Saison große Mengen Hirsche vernichtet wurden … das ganze Land, wenn nicht verhindert.

Es gab vereinzelte Verurteilungen, aber keines dieser Kolonialgesetze wurde effektiv durchgesetzt, und Mitte des 18. Jahrhunderts gab es in der Nähe der größeren Gemeinden nur noch wenige Rehe, die man schützen konnte. Grenzbauern lebten noch immer vom Land und nahmen ihr Wild, wenn sie es wollten. An den Rändern der sich zurückziehenden Wildnis durchkämmten Indianer- und Weißmarktjäger zu allen Jahreszeiten das Dickicht nach Wild, weit weg vom nächsten „Hirschreeve“, dem Offizier, der zum Aufspüren von Wilderern eingesetzt wurde.

Nach der Revolution ging die Zerstörung der Wildnis entlang der Täler des Ohio, Wabash, Cumberland und Mississippi und an den südlichen Ufern der Großen Seen in größerem Ausmaß weiter. Und zu diesem Zeitpunkt hatten die Marktjäger, die immer noch im Van der Zivilisation operierten, die Prärieränder erreicht, den produktivsten Teil des ursprünglichen Weißschwanz-Sortiments. Ein ausgedehntes Netz von Kanälen, Straßen und Schienen hielt sie in der Nähe der Märkte des Ostens. An einem einzigen Tag im Jahr 1818 tötete eine Gruppe von Jägern in der Gemeinde Medina, Ohio, dreihundert Hirsche, einundzwanzig Schwarzbären und siebzehn Wölfe. (Im Durchschnitt bedeutete dies etwa zwölf Hirsche pro Quadratmeile.) Im Winter 1859 töteten Fleischjäger die letzten von Iowas ursprünglichen Hirschen, indem sie sie im tiefen Schnee ausbrüteten. Ähnliche Gemetzel fanden regelmäßig im gesamten Mittleren Westen statt, solange Hirsche in ausreichender Zahl gefunden werden konnten, um die Anstrengung zu rechtfertigen.

Mit der Öffnung des Westens verlagerte sich das Zentrum der Marktjagd auf die Great Plains und die Rocky Mountains. Dort trugen der Bison, der Gabelbock, der Elch, der Maultierhirsch und das Dickhornschaf die meiste Last. Aber die Weißschwänze im gefährdeten Gebirge entlang des Präriebodens endeten in den Kochtöpfen von Wagenzügen, Kavalleriepatrouillen und Schiffsbesatzungen.

In Neuengland und den Anrainerstaaten der Großen Seen hatten Rodungen und Fleischjagden die meisten Hirsche in ihrem ursprünglichen Verbreitungsgebiet ausgerottet. Aber die Abholzung der nördlichen Nadelbäume hatte im Norden neue und bessere Verbreitungsgebiete geschaffen. Bis 1870 war der Hirsch in den nördlichen Grafschaften Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Hampshire und Maine weit verbreitet, wo es fünfzig Jahre zuvor nur wenige oder gar keine gab. Für die Hirsche war das Schneiden der Nadelbäume jedoch ein gemischter Segen. Jedes der Holzfällerlager beschäftigte Jäger, um die Holzfäller mit frischem Fleisch zu versorgen. Und die Marktjäger, die die Hirsche weiter südlich inzwischen ausgerottet hatten, strömten in das neu entwickelte Sortiment.

Mit Hunden, Gewehren, Stahlfallen und Drahtschlingen könnte ein erfahrener Jäger durchschnittlich zehn Hirsche pro Tag erreichen. Im Dezember 1872 verschiffte Litchfield, Minnesota, sechs Tonnen angerichtetes Wildbret zu den Märkten in Boston. Im Jahr 1880 beförderten allein die Frachtbüros in Michigan mehr als hunderttausend Hirsche, die für Chicago und den Osten bestimmt waren.

Dieses direkte Abschlachten war schlimm genug, aber die Brände, die in den nördlichen Kiefernwäldern um die Großen Seen folgten, waren schlimmer. Nach dem Holzeinschlag bedeckte trockener, mit Pech gefüllter Schnitt – weggeworfene Baumkronen und Äste – Hunderttausende von Morgen und wartete nur darauf, dass ein Funke ihn entzündete. Einer der ersten Funken traf am 8. Oktober 1871 in Windrichtung von Peshtigo, Wisconsin. Wind Makes Fire“, in AMERICAN HERITAGE, August 1956). Bis zur Jahrhundertwende fegten immer wieder Brände im Norden des Landes, töteten fast jedes Lebewesen, einschließlich Hirsche, und verwandelten Millionen von Hektar in verwildertes Ödland, in dem kein Hirsch überleben konnte.

Um 1880 begannen Wissenschaftler und einige Pionier-Naturschützer, sich Sorgen um die Zukunft des Weißwedelhirsches als Art zu machen. Zehn Jahre später erreichte die Hirschpopulation in Nordamerika den Tiefpunkt. Die Appalachen und der größte Teil des Landes westlich der Rocky Mountains waren praktisch ohne Rehe. Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, West Virginia, New Jersey, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri und Nebraska zählten alle ihre Weißschwanzherden nahe Null. Der „letzte Hirsch“ in Indiana wurde 1893 in der Nähe von Red Cloud erschossen. Im südlichen Maine und im südlichen New Hampshire gab es keine.

Nur die wilderen Teile der Adirondacks, die Arkansas Mountains, die abgelegenen Sümpfe der Südküste und die Golfküste boten den Rehen Zuflucht. T. S. Palmer vom U. S. Biological Survey (Vorläufer des U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service) schätzte die wilde Weißwedelhirschpopulation der Vereinigten Staaten und Kanadas im Jahr 1890 auf etwa 300 000. Seine Agentur unternahm erhebliche Anstrengungen, um die Menschen zu ermutigen, Hirsche in Gefangenschaft zu züchten, da die Zukunft des Weißwedels bei denen zu liegen schien, die in umzäunten Wildparks gehalten werden.

Aber selbst als der Niedergang anhielt, begannen die Samen der Wiederherstellung zu keimen. Im nördlichen Neuengland und in den Seeprovinzen wandelte der Holzeinschlag die ursprünglichen Nadelwälder in junge Laub- und Laubwälder um, die sich ideal für Hirsche eigneten. Felsige Böden und ein unwirtliches Klima verhinderten eine massive Invasion der Landwirtschaft. Bis 1890 hatte sich der Hirsch im Norden von Maine und New Hampshire und tief in New Brunswick und Quebec weit nördlich ihres ursprünglichen Verbreitungsgebiets ausgebreitet. In dieser Region war der Wolf, das einzige bedeutende Raubtier des nördlichen Hirsches, vom Aussterben bedroht.

Östlich der Appalachen hatte das Industriezeitalter die Landnutzungsmuster drastisch verändert. Tausende von Randbauern, die mit der blühenden Landwirtschaft des Westens nicht mithalten konnten, hatten ihre abgenutzten Farmen aufgegeben, Fabrikjobs in der Stadt angenommen oder waren in den Westen gegangen. In der Region Piemont im Süden hatten der Kapselrüssler, das Ende der Sklaverei und die Konkurrenz mit ausländischen Märkten die Aufgabe Tausender Baumwollfelder erzwungen. Das verlassene Land wurde bald von schnell sprießenden, schnell wachsenden Kiefern überfallen. Bis 1885 gab es im Osten der Vereinigten Staaten Millionen Hektar reifender „Old-Field“-Kiefernwälder. Kiefer allein ist eine schlechte Nahrung für Hirsche, und diese neuen Wälder unterstützten nur wenige Hirsche, aber die Reifung der Kiefern brachte einen neuen Holzeinschlagsboom in den Osten, der 1890 in vollem Gange war. Und als die Kiefern geschnitten wurden, wurden sie durch die Gestrüpp ersetzt , Laub-Nadel-Mischwald, der ein ideales Revier für Hirsche ist.

Zeitgleich mit der Rückkehr dieses weitgehend rehlosen Lebensraumes entwickelte sich die moderne Naturschutzbewegung. Zum ersten Mal begannen nicht wenige Menschen, andere Werte in Wildtieren zu erkennen als die, die in Fleisch, Häuten und Federn messbar sind. Zum großen Teil entstand dieses Konzept, etwas unpassend, bei Sportjägern in den östlichen Städten. Bis etwa 1830 war die Jagd nach dem Sport in erster Linie ein Zeitvertreib der Reichen. Aber die Ära nach dem Bürgerkrieg hatte eine neue Mittelschicht mit Geld, Freizeit und oft dem Wunsch hervorgebracht, vorübergehend dem städtischen Leben zu entfliehen. An den Ufern wilder Seen und Flüsse blühten üppige Touristencamps und Hotels. Die meisten dieser Resorts boten neben anderen Outdoor-Abwechslungen eine ausgezeichnete Hirschjagd.

Als sich das Interesse an der Freizeitjagd verbreitete, suchten Pionier-Naturschützer nach Wegen, das begrenzte Angebot an Hirschen zu erhöhen. Die Spielgesetze hatten sich seit der Kolonialzeit kaum geändert. Noch 1870 dauerte die Jagdsaison drei bis sieben Monate, Taschenbeschränkungen gab es nicht, und der Einsatz von Hunden, Fackeln für die Nachtjagd und Salzlecken waren akzeptierte Sportpraktiken.

Nach und nach verschärfte ein Staat nach dem anderen seine Spielgesetze. Im Jahr 1873 führte Maine das erste Taschenlimit für Hirsche ein – drei für jeden Jäger in einer Saison. Michigan und Minnesota verhängten 1895 eine Beschränkung auf fünf Hirsche, und Wisconsin eine Beschränkung auf zwei Hirsche im Jahr 1897. Wochen und sogar Monate wurden während der offenen Jagdsaison unterbrochen, und die meisten Staaten verboten die Hirschjagd vollständig in Landkreisen, in denen Hirsche im Jahr 18g knapp waren den ganzen Staat für einen Zeitraum von fünf Jahren auf die Hirschjagd. Um die Jahrhundertwende hatte jeder Staat nördlich von Virginia und Arkansas Nachtschießen und den Einsatz von Hunden für die Hirschjagd verboten. Darüber hinaus verfügte zu diesem Zeitpunkt fast jeder Staat über eine offizielle Stelle, die mit dem Schutz der Wildlile betraut war.

Viele dieser Reformen richteten sich direkt an die Marktjäger, deren Bedeutung für die Wirtschaft stark zurückging. Die meisten wurden von Sportlern initiiert und durchgekämpft, die politisch potente Fisch- und Wildschutzvereine organisiert hatten. Der Marktjäger wurde schließlich durch ein Bundesgesetz (der Lacey Act von 1900) aus dem Geschäft gedrängt, das den Versand von Wild, das unter Verstoß gegen staatliche Gesetze getötet wurde, zwischenstaatlichen Versand verbot.

Um die Jahrhundertwende erhielten sowohl der Hirsch als auch sein Lebensraum erstmals echten Schutz. Ihre alten natürlichen Feinde waren fast verschwunden. Die Menschen kämpften gegen Waldbrände, anstatt sie zu legen und zuzusehen, wie sie brennen. Schiefer und Bundesforstbehörden pflanzten alte Brandrodungen wieder an. Die Deckung kehrte ins Land zurück.

Die Reaktion der Hirsche auf diese nahezu idealen Bedingungen, insbesondere im Nordosten, war explosiv. Von den Schutzinseln, auf denen sie fast ein Jahrhundert lang auf unsichere Weise überlebt hatten, schossen Rehe in alle Richtungen. Diejenigen im nördlichen Neuengland breiteten sich nach Süden in die Farming Countys aus. Die Hirsche im Südosten von Massachusetts breiteten sich in den zentralen Grafschaften und südwärts nach Rhode Island und Connecticut aus. Adirondack-Hirsche bevölkerten die Catskills im Westen von Vermont und die Berkshires von Massachusetts. 1908 schätzte Ernest Thompson Selon, der bekannteste Naturforscher der Zeit, die Hirschpopulation am Mississippi auf etwa fünfhunderttausend.

Diese natürliche Ausbreitung und Zunahme wurde von Sportlerorganisationen und den neu organisierten staatlichen Spielagenturen unterstützt. Im Jahr 1878 hatte ein Sportlerclub in Rutland County, Vermont, siebzehn in Gefangenschaft gehaltene Hirsche (zehn davon von den Wärtern des New York State Prison in Dannemora) gekauft und in Wäldern freigelassen, die vom Staat für die Jagd gesperrt waren. Bis 1895 war dieser Kern auf mehrere Hundert angewachsen.

Der Erfolg des Experiments in Vermont inspirierte mehrere Oststaaten zu einem ähnlichen Ansatz. In Pennsylvania gelang es fast unglaublich. Bald nach 1899 begann die Pennsylvania Game Commission, Hirsche zu kaufen und in staatlichen Wäldern auszuwildern. 1905 wurden die ersten Einheiten eines ausgedehnten Wildschutzsystems mit Tieren bestückt, die in Staatswäldern lebend gefangen waren. Zwei Jahre später gab es genug Weißwedel, um eine begrenzte Jagd zu rechtfertigen. Im Jahr 1907 erbeuteten Jäger zweihundert Dollar in einem Staat, in dem es vor weniger als zwanzig Jahren überhaupt kein Wild gegeben hatte.

Mitte der 1920er Jahre schien es in Pennsylvania überall Hirsche zu geben. Auf fast jeder Landstraße konnte man abends Herden von vierzig oder mehr zählen. Dutzende könnten von jedem Holzgrundstück gespült werden. Sie drangen in Scheunen, Maisfelder und Obstgärten ein. Spaziergänger am Stadtrand von Harrisburg und Philadelphia wurden häufig vom Schnauben eines verängstigten Bocks erschreckt oder vom Anblick der weißen Flagge einer Hirschkuh begeistert.

Die große Hirschblase in Pennsylvania platzte kurz nach 1925. Wildbiologen hatten festgestellt, dass die von Jägern gefangenen Tiere verkümmert waren. Die Entwicklung des Geweihs war so schlecht, dass sich Sportler darüber beschwerten, bis zu hundert Hirsche an einem Tag zu sehen, aber keinen mit einem gegabelten Geweih, das es legal gemacht hätte. Dann, im bitteren Winter 1926, begannen die Hirsche zu sterben. Sie starben einzeln, zu Dutzenden und manchmal zu Hunderten in verschneiten, überwucherten Wintergärten. Vernon Bailey, ein führender Säugetierforscher des Bundes, zählte in wenigen Wochen mehr als tausend tote Hirsche in vier Townships einer Grafschaft.

Baileys Urteil bestätigte das bereits von der Pennsylvania Game Commission erreichte – eine drastische Reduzierung der Hirschpopulation musste vorgenommen werden, wenn der Staat seine Wälder und Hirsche überhaupt retten wollte. Die Winterberge waren von Tausenden hungernden Rehen von jeglicher Vegetation beraubt worden, die bis zu einem Menschenkopf reichte.

Bis dahin erlaubte Pennsylvania, wie die meisten Staaten, die damals die Jagd auf Hirsche erlaubten, jedem Jäger nur einen Bock mit mindestens einem gegabelten Geweih pro Jahr. Aber ein Bock paart sich normalerweise mit mehreren Hirschen, und die meisten Spikehorns und andere untergesetze Böcke sind in der Lage, sich fortzupflanzen. Aus diesem Grund hatte sich die Hirschpopulation alle zwei oder drei Jahre verdoppelt, trotz eines steigenden jährlichen Bocksterbens. Und jedes Frühjahr produzierten die Rehe Hunderttausende Kitze, für die es kein Winterfutter geben würde. 1930 erklärte die Pennsylvania Game Commission angesichts des erbitterten öffentlichen Widerstands eine offene Saison für geweihlose Hirsche. Zwischen 1931 und 1941 töteten Jäger in Penn’s Woods mehr als 725.000 Hirsche. Diese harte, aber notwendige Behandlung reduzierte die Herde von nahe der Millionengrenze auf unter eine halbe Million. In den Jahren danach haben regulierte spezielle geweihlose Hirschsaisons, die heute allgemein als Standard-Management-Praxis akzeptiert werden, den Hirschbestand bei einem Optimum von etwa 400.000 stabilisiert.

Im Süden und im Mittleren Westen südlich der Großen Seen erfolgte später die Wiederherstellung des Hirsches. Aber alle Staaten in diesen Regionen profitierten von den entwickelten Techniken und den Fehlern, die Pennsylvania, New York und Neuengland gemacht hatten. Noch 1930 gab es in den meisten Staaten zwischen den Rockies und den Appalachen vergleichsweise wenige oder gar keine Weißwedelhirsche. Südlich des Potomac in den Appalachen befand sich die einzige gedeihende Hirschherde im Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Anderswo in den Appalachen betrachteten die Bergsteiger – Gesetz oder kein Gesetz – jedes essbare Wild zu jeder Zeit als Freiwild.

Während der Depression verließen viele dieser Familien die Hügel. Ihre Farmen und manchmal ganze Dörfer wurden in staatliche und nationale Wälder und Parks integriert. Ein weiteres riesiges Gebiet mit erstklassigem Lebensraum für Hirsche – immer noch fast ohne Hirsche – entwickelte sich schnell. Und wieder fiel die Rückkehr des Covers zufällig mit einem weiteren großen Fortschritt in der Wildtierschutzbewegung zusammen.

Bis 1937 erhielten praktisch alle staatlichen Wildtierämter wenig oder keine Einnahmen, außer aus dem Verkauf von Jagd- und Angelscheinen. Und oft lenkten die gesetzgebenden Körperschaften der Bundesstaaten große Teile dieser Gelder für den Bau von Autobahnen und andere Projekte, die nichts mit dem Artenschutz zu tun hatten.

1937 verabschiedete der Kongress dann das Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act. Das Gesetz sieht die bestehende Verbrauchsteuer von 11 Prozent auf Sportwaffen und Munition zur Verwendung durch die Bundesstaaten bei der Finanzierung genehmigter Projekte zur Wiederherstellung von Wildtieren vor. Es legte auch fest, dass ein Staat, um für Bundesmittel in Frage zu kommen, alle Einnahmen aus der Jagdlizenz für den Betrieb seiner Wildtierbehörde verwenden musste. Jeder Staat kam schnell nach.

Im Osten war der Weißwedelhirsch einer der ersten Hauptnutznießer. In bemerkenswert kurzer Zeit trugen Restaurierungsbemühungen in einem Bundesland nach dem anderen Früchte. Kleine ansässige Herden, die die dunklen Tage der iSoo überlebt hatten, vermehrten sich und verbreiteten sich. Die Transplantationen einiger weniger Tiere wurden innerhalb weniger Jahre zu Tausenden. Und als sich die Wälder wieder mit Hirschen füllten, eröffnete ein Bundesstaat nach dem anderen seine lange geschlossene Jagdsaison wieder. 1965, als Kansas der Meinung war, dass es genug Weißschwänze gibt, um eine offene Saison zu rechtfertigen, war jeder Bundesstaat östlich der Rocky Mountains wieder ein „Big-Game“-Staat.

Obwohl die Jagd vielen unangenehm ist, ist sie in Ermangelung der ursprünglichen natürlichen Hemmnisse für das Wachstum der Hirschpopulation für das Wohlergehen der Hirsche und der Wälder, von denen sie abhängig sind, unerlässlich. Im Herbst und frühen Winter 1968 brachten Jäger in den Vereinigten Staaten fast anderthalb Millionen Weißwedelhirsche nach Hause, halb so viele, wie es noch vor fünfzig Jahren in ganz Nordamerika existierte! Aber das war weniger als ein Fünftel der Weißschwanzpopulation des Sommers.

Da fast das gesamte geeignete Sortiment in Amerika vollständig bestückt ist, ist dies wahrscheinlich das gesamte Weißwedelhirsch, das die Wälder Amerikas unterstützen können. Aber es ist genug. Die erfolgreichen Naturschutzbemühungen der Vergangenheit wurden durch wissenschaftliche Forschung, Strafverfolgung und Habitatmanagement ersetzt. In den meisten Staaten halten flexible Jagdvorschriften die Hirschpopulationen mit ihrer Nahrungsversorgung im Gleichgewicht und sichern dennoch jedes Jahr das Überleben eines mehr als ausreichenden Zuchtbestandes. Was die Zukunft betrifft, so sollte die ständige Nachfrage der amerikanischen Wirtschaft nach Holzprodukten und nach geschützten Wassereinzugsgebieten die Erhaltung der großen Blöcke junger Waldgebiete sicherstellen, die Hirsche zum Gedeihen benötigen. Der Weißwedelhirsch sollte viele Jahre lang zahlreich sein.


Deer Island: Eine Geschichte der menschlichen Tragödie in Erinnerung

In October, 1675 (Just five months after the start of the King Philip’s War, 1675-1676) some 500 Nipmucks from what is now South Natick were forcibly removed to Deer Island, a barren strip of land off Boston Harbor, as a concentration camp for Indians (later it would become a holding area for Irish immigrants fleeing the Great Famine (1800s), a major hospital (1847), a prison (c. 1882-1988), and now a wastewater treatment facility and national park), was established by the Massachusetts Council that same year. King Philip’s War, or Metacomet’s Revenge, as it came to be known, was the first large-scale military aggression in the American colonies and the bloodiest conflict between settlers and Indians in 17th century Puritan New England. Without adequate food, clothing, shelter or medicine, the pro-English Algonquian coverts, who had been converted to Christianity by the zealous Congregationalist minister from Roxbury named John Elliot, half of the Indians confined on the Island died of starvation or exposure during their imprisonment when John Eliot visited them in December, he could only report with horror, “The Island was bleak and cold, their wigwams poor and mean, their clothes few and thin.” These were the same Indians who once welcomed the English in 1621 with their Sachem, Massasoit.

In the years prior to King Philip’s War, Eliot worked with his devoted teacher (and servant of 35 years) Job Nesutan to learn the language. Later, Eliot worked with Nesutan and other Indians in translating the Holy Bible into the local Natick dialect of Massachusett or Massachusêuck (first published in 1663 at Harvard University) had taught hundreds of Indians to read and write and had established fourteen “praying towns,” Indian settlements built as Christian communities.

The first and largest was Natick, Massachusetts. Eliot took seriously his goal of conversion. He was convinced that only by being able to communicate with Native people in their own language could he achieve the goal of spreading Christianity prompting greater migrations of English to come to New England’s rocky shores as Indians were becoming more 𠇌ivilized” as a result.

However, from the very start of the war, the new English colonists became fearful of Eliot’s converts joining Philip’s reign of terror. Convinced of these fears, the Massachusetts Council ordered all Christian Indians to be barged down the Charles River in shackles and incarcerated on the island for the duration of the war. It was also known that slavers came to steal Indians off Deer Island to engage in the lucrative trade of human trafficking in Barbados or Jamaica.

But after enduring decades of fraudulent land deals, Massasoit’s son, Philip, determined to wage war to oust the colonists from New England and push them back over the sea from whence they came. He nearly succeeded. Beginning in June of 1675, not only Wampanoags, but Narragansetts, Nipmucks, and Pocumtucks rallied behind Philip to destroy the English.

To Puritan minister Increase Mather it seemed that the Indians had “risen almost round the country,” torching one town after the other. Before the final shots were fired over half of all the English settlements in New England𠅎verything west of Concord—had been laid waste. As Boston merchant Nathaniel Saltonstall explained in a letter to a friend in London, “Nothing could be expected but an utter desolation.” Philip’s Indians attacked and destroyed 25 frontier settlements: Andover, Bridgewater, Chelmsford, Cumberland, Groton, Lancaster, Longmeadow, Marlborough, Medfield, Medford, Millis, Plymouth, Portland, Providence, Rehoboth, Scituate, Seekonk, Simsbury, Springfield, Sudbury, Suffield, Warwick, Weymouth, and Wrentham, including what is modern-day Plainville.

The war ended with Metocomet’s death, August 12, 1676 with 600 colonists and 3,000 Native Americans dead, including several hundred native captives who were tried and executed others were enslaved and sold in Bermuda and elsewhere. The Deer Island prisoners were released, and over half of the Indians confined to the Island had died, others too sick to enjoy their liberty for long.

Almost 400 years have passed as we remember this tragic point in our collective history. The Deer Island Memorial Committee, headed by Executive Director Jim Peters, Massachusetts Commission on Indian Affairs, along with other committee members, had issued an RFP to create a memorial commemorating the Nipmuc Indians who died there. Lloyd Gray (Mohawk) has been contracted to create the memorial. It is anticipated that there will be a ceremony as part of the unveiling during the last weekend in October, 2013. It will be a time for reflection, commemoration and healing. In the language of Eliot’s Praying Indians, 𠇊yeuhteá࿊sh,” we stand firm (strong) and will continue to do so.


White-tailed Deer Timeline

1900 – Market/subsistence hunting and unregulated harvest eliminate nearly all deer from the state.

1917 –Total statewide deer population estimated at 500 animals. Legislature bans deer harvest.

1917 to 1922 – From western Oklahoma moving east, counties previously open to deer hunting are systematically closed to deer hunting.

1922 – All deer hunting in Oklahoma is prohibited.

1933 – First regulated deer season (five days) is held. Hunt is restricted to six southeast counties and Major County in western Oklahoma, resulting in the harvest of 235 bucks. Also, this year marks the beginning of safety regulations for wearing a red upper outer garment (later to become “hunter” orange).

1934 – No deer season authorized.

193537 Area is expanded to seven southeast counties only. Harvest total is 331 in 1935 375 in 1936 and 347 in 1937.

1938 – No deer season authorized.

1939-40 – Harvest totals: 384 in 1939 and 318 in 1940.

1941-43 – All deer hunting is closed. Many OGF personnel are called to active military service.

1943 – Deer restoration program started with the trap and transplant of 22 deer.

1944 – 379 deer harvested.

1945 – A total of 469 deer are harvested. Restoration efforts continue, with most deer trapped from either the Wichita Mountains NWR or Ft. Sill, but includes 50 captured from Aransas Pass NWR on the Texas Gulf Coast.

1946 – Participation in the deer gun season jumps to more than 7,000 (certainly due to returning World War II Vets looking for recreation). The first archery season (one day) is held. No deer harvested. A total of 35 deer are transplanted from the Wichita Mountains NWR to the U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot near McAlester (in less than a decade the military installation, now known as the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, would serve as a source herd for trapping activities).

1946 – Oklahoma had its first archery season (1 day) on November 11, 1946, in seven southeast counties. No deer were harvested.

1949 – Special Archery season (five days) is designated only at Camp Gruber, resulting in the first buck taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season. The deer, taken by Roland Barber, is the state’s first archery buck and was a fallow deer. It was part of Camp Gruber’s small herd that had been established in the area during the late 1930s.

Photo (left): Roland Barber harvests the first deer taken with a bow and arrow in Oklahoma. The 120-pound fallow buck was harvested November 2, 1949, at Camp Gruber.

1951 – First whitetail deer taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season since the days that Native Americans hunted deer for subsistence is harvested by Larry Embry, Jr.,13. The deer was harvested at Camp Gruber.

Photo: Larry Embry Jr harvested the first whitetail at Camp Gruber on November 11, 1951, with a bow.

The Daily Oklahoma November 13, 1951, has the full story.

1954 – First statewide gun deer season (5 days) results in a harvest of 1,487 bucks.

1969 – First primitive firearms season (three days) is held, resulting in two deer harvested. Hunt is restricted to part of LeFlore County.

1970 – Statewide 16-day deer gun season. The total harvest of 6,882 bucks.

1972 –Nine-day deer gun season with all open counties and special two-day antlerless season. Total harvest 7,670 deer.

1975 – Cy Curtis Awards Program initiated by the Department to recognize trophy deer (harvested during the 1972 season and thereafter). For eligibility, whitetail deer must have a minimum typical score of 135 or a non-typical minimum of 150 using the Boone & Crockett scoring system. In the first year, only seven deer are entered. The program is named in honor of the man most responsible for the restoration of whitetail deer in Oklahoma.

1976 – Department begins broadscale antlerless harvest in 19 counties by issuing antlerless permits by special drawing. Total harvest 11,548 – 26 percent does.

1982 – Antlerless permit system deemed unpopular due to perceived inequities, and replaced by antlerless days available to all hunters. Total harvest 19, 255 – 23 percent does.

1986 –The Department ceases any further trap and transplant efforts with sufficient populations of deer available to repopulate all suitable habitats statewide.

1990 – Statewide deer population estimated at 250,000 deer. Total harvest 44,070 deer – 24 percent does.

1992 – Total harvest tops 50,000. Much to the surprise of many, a new state record buck is taken by an archer in Oklahoma County (Chris Foutz took the buck, which measured 179 6/8 typical score), proving that quality deer can come from just about anywhere in Oklahoma even the state’s most urbanized county.

Photo (left): Chris Foutz with 179 6/8 scored deer harvested with a bow in Oklahoma County on December 23, 1992.

1999 – Statewide deer population estimated at 425,000 deer. Total harvest yields 82,500 deer – 36 percent does.

2000 – Deer population levels spawn a multitude of stakeholder desires and management possibilities. For the first time, deer harvest numbers top 100,000.

2001 - First Special Antlerless season is held in December and expanded deer archery season in January.

2003 - First statewide youth antlerless deer gun season is held in October and yields 2,285 deer.

2004 - Statewide deer population estimated at 475,000 deer. Bowhunters set a new harvest record with 14,639 deer taken. Statewide harvest is 94,689 - 40% does.

2005 - Statewide harvest is 101,111 including 40% does. The number of counties that recorded more than 1,000 deer harvested increased to 43.

2006- Hunting regulations remain unchanged from 2005.

2007 – Not one, but two tremendous whitetail bucks are harvested from Pushmataha County during the deer gun season one by John Ehmer that scored an impressive 194 typical, and one by Jason Boyett that scored 192 5/8 typical. Boyett takes his buck on Nov. 18, surpassing the previous state record that had held the top spot for an entire decade (see Larry Luman photo below). Then just 10 days later, on Nov. 28, Ehmer takes his outstanding buck from the same county. By now, a total of 4,500 deer (including 19 mule deer entries) have been entered into the Cy Curtis Program.


2013- Physical deer check stations are replaced with an electronic check-in system, called E-Check. The Wildlife Department initiates the "Hunters in the Know Let Young Bucks Grow" campaign.

2014- Hunters are able to submit photos of their deer jaws, and have their deer aged by Wildlife Department biologists.

2015- marked the participation record for archery hunters for the third year in a row.


Facebook

Anyone who has stood on or driven along Ocean Springs' Beach or East Biloxi's Highway 90 has glanced or looked at Deer Island. They may have even wondered about this deserted island and its past history. The western and eastern tips are wind swept sand where mainly sea oats, grasses, and various small plants grow. The eastern and southeastern areas are mostly salt-water marshes with stands of pine trees sprinkled throughout. There are several bayous or inlets, some being large enough for a skiff to enter. The western and northern areas are covered with stands of pine trees and some oak trees. Through the years hurricanes have taken their toll by eroding portions of the southern shores and in 1985 Elena cut out a section of the western end.

Deer Island was occupied and used as hunting ground as early as 8,000 B.C. Artifacts from the four major periods of Native American history have been found on Deer Island. Those periods are Paleo Indian, Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian Periods. During the Mississippian Period 1,000 A.D. to 1700 A.D. Native American artifacts indicate some early and late occupation but the largest occupation occurs from about 1200 A.D. to 1550 A.D. This corresponds with two Mississippian sites on the Biloxi peninsula. One site was on the east end of the southern shore and the other on the northern shore of the peninsula. The only thing that remains today is the artifacts and shell midden. Shell middens are areas where Native Americans discarded their refuse and other items. Some portions of the Native American sites on Deer Island are underwater due to eroding shorelines. Unfortunately those that are not underwater, pothunters and others have ravished for years. Pothunters are individuals looking for whole clay vessels. They dig the site up looking for these vessels but during the process they destroy the site and artifacts. They never record or report what they find because they know what they are doing is wrong and against the law.

The 1699 arrival of the French ushered in a new period along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Deer Island. The French explored the whole Gulf Coast but it was not until 1717 that any indication of Deer Island being occupied. The Commissary M. Hubert petitions the French Ministry of the Colonies to grant him the concession, land grant, of Deer Island to raise rabbits. Later he withdraws his petition after learning that another inhabitant already has the Deer Island concession. Unfortunately he does not name the person who has the Deer Island concession. On November 2, 1738 M. Louboey, Governor of Louisiana, writes about Deer Island in a letter to M. Maurepas, Minister of the Colonies. He indicates that the small nation know as the Capinans have abandoned its village on the Pascagoula River and retired to Deer Island. The Capinans were a small tribe connected with the Biloxi and Pascagoula tribes. Their villages were located on the Pascagoula River when the French first arrived.

Records dated 1746 indicated that a cattle ranch is being operated on Deer Island by a settler who owns and operates a shallop (ship) of sixty tons. During the 1790s a Pierre La Fontaine, a ship owner from Deer Island has been paying tolls to enter St. John Bayou in Louisiana. It would appear that Pierre and the early settler may be one and the same.

On the twenty first of April 1798 fourteen persons on Deer Island were confirmed by the Bishop Francisco Penalver y Cardenas of the Diocese of New Orleans. Among the confirmed was 100-year-old Louis Christian Ladner as well as other Ladners, Cueves, Carquottes and other early gulf coast settlers. Between 1840 and 1850 Father Gerin, a Catholic priest from Biloxi, would visit Deer Island about once a month.

The Harrison County 1850 census lists 11 people living on Deer Island. These 11 consist of three families and one single person. Albertus King Aken 30 was listed as a farmer and being from New Jersey his wife Jane 26, Bay St. Louis their son Joseph 9, and Mr. Aken's sister Laura Aken 19. Mr. Aken at one time was lighthouse keeper at Cat Island. About 1865, Mr. Aken began harvesting the sap from the pine trees and set up a still from the manufacturing of turpentine. In 1917 L. Lopez Company, per an agreement with Mr. Aken, set the first shells for an oyster reef in the waters off Deer Island.

Joseph Field Aken, who grew up on Deer Island, would marry Harriet Waters of Horn Island during the Civil War. Harriet was born on September 18, 1839 in Pascagoula and raised on Horn Island where she first married Peter Baker on December 28, 1852 at the age of thirteen. Peter and Harriet struggled to make a living on Horn Island. Confederate and Union soldiers took cattle from the family. Final Harriet and her children left Peter who she later divorced. Harriet, in later years would be known as Grandma Aken along the Gulf Coast. On Deer Island she helped Joseph run the turpentine business and the oyster reefs. They lived by hunting, crabbing, fishing, oystering, as well as what could be raised on the island. Joseph died July 13, 1913, leaving Harriet to carry on and raise 17 children. Grandma Aken would also raise and give a home to 25 boys and a girl Rhoda Louise Williams. She continued to hunt and harvest oysters late in life. Even when she became almost blind she would not let that slow her down. She would set on her porch and knit fishing nets for the family.

In her young days it was said that she could handle a gun as well as any man.
She was considered an excellent hunter, swimmer, and she had walked every inch of Deer Island. During her active years she would row a skiff from the island to various locations on the main land.

Grandma Aken had reached her hundredth birthday in 1939. Friends and family journeyed to Deer Island with gifts and cakes for the happy occasion. Though she had been ill Grandma Aken sat in her large armchair and in her natural agreeable manner received her guests. Boats were secured for the occasion and guests were ferried to and from Deer Island. Rev. E.A. Demiller, rector of the Church of the Redeemer, conducted religious services on the island. In addition to Mrs. Aken’s birthday, her great granddaughter who was born the same day, Mary Jane Hall’s birthday was also celebrated.

Six months later Grandma Aken would die on Deer Island. The seawall was crowded with friends as her coffin was carried on the Sea Queen from Deer Island to Oak Street pier. She was interred at the Old Biloxi Cemetery, thus closing another chapter on Deer Island.

Grandma Aken was one of the most beloved and enduring individuals on Deer Island. Yet, one of the most interesting characters was The Hermit of Deer Island. Jean Guilhot, a Frenchman, who had operated a citrus grove in the Bahamas and a turtle soup cannery in Florida. He arrived in Biloxi in 1921at 46 years of age and began working as a barber. He met and married a widow, Pauline Lemiene, who with her son Elmer had a house on Deer Island. Elmer would later marry Rhoda Louise William, the adopted daughter of Grandma Aken, and have two children Elmer and Elaine who were born on Deer Island. On Deer Island he gave up being a barber and became an oyster fisherman. A few years later his wife died, but Guilhot continued to live on Deer Island and make his living by tonging oysters. During the 1947 Hurricane Guihot climbed a tree and weathered the wind and water. The storm flooded the island and destroyed his home but he built a new shack from driftwood. By this time his skin was like leather from the sun and saltwater. He lived on a diet of cheese, fruit, and various seafood but refused to eat meat.

In early 1950, Louis Gorenflo, captain of the tour boat Sailfish offered to pickup and deliver groceries to Guilhot. On a small pine sapling 75 feet from shore, Guilhot would place his grocery list and Gorenflo would retrieve the list and on the next visit return the groceries. At first Guilhot would only retrieve the groceries after the Sailfish departed. Gradually, he began to row out and meet the Sailfish. Later he would sing songs in French and English for the tourists. The tourists would take his picture and throw coins in to Guilhot's boat. On May 27, 1959, Guilhot died in his sleep at the age of 82. One account of his passing implies that it occurred on Deer Island. His family attests that he died at the residence of his stepson Elmer Lemien on Tucker Road in the St Martin community. According to the Bradford O’Keefe funeral records Jean Guilhot died at Latimer Route 2 Jackson County. Jean Guilhot’s death closed another chapter of history on Deer Island. The Hermit of Deer Island lives now only in the memories of those who knew and saw him.

One of the most interesting and short-lived developments on Deer Island occurred in June of 1915. The Deer Island Improvement Company purchased property from Grandma Aken and opened an amusement park. The park was equipped with dance pavilion 60 x 100 feet and featured a huge bath house with a roof complete with a garden and refreshments, fishing, row boat rentals, carnival rides, penny arcade, and daily concerts. Visitors were transported by a ferry system to and from Deer Island by way of the Lameuse Street pier. The company also sold property for cottages and camps, which in no time began to appear. The venture was a huge success but that fall the 1915 Hurricane hit the coast and wiped out the amusement park, several cottages, and summer camps. The investors never recovered and in 1917 the property was returned to Grandma Aken and her heirs.

After Grandma Aken’s death many of her decedents continued to live on Deer Island. From her first marriage to Peter Baker, a native of Arandahl, Norway, their children Frank Ben, Joseph, and Hannah Olena grew up on Deer Island. Baker Family history indicates that Peter Baker’s last name was originally Olsen but he changed it to Baker. From Grandma Aken’s marriage to Joseph Aken their 5 daughters Ella 1871, Nora 1873, Margaret 1875, Cora 1879, and Julia 1881were born and grew up on Deer Island.

Joseph Baker would marry Madeline Gelineo and move to Biloxi. He would be a carpenter by trade. Their children were George and Edward who lived in Biloxi and Marion who lived in New Orleans, Mrs. Henry Lechner and Mrs. Holly Ford of Biloxi. Joseph died on July 16, 1956 in Biloxi.

Frank Ben Baker was born on Deer Island July 6, 1869 and married Dorothy Ryan. Frank and Dorothy would live with their children on Deer Island. Their sons Ralph and Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. Their daughters Vera would marry Fred Lusk and Dorothy would marry Elbert Meaut and move to Biloxi. Frank died on December 3, 1947 on Deer Island.

Hannah Olena Baker married James Wentzell and they had two children, J.W. Wentzell and Charles Wentzell. Ella Aken would marry William Thompson on June 29, 1892 and have one child named Ada and would make their home on Deer Island. Nora married Charles McCaleb on September 24, 1890 and lived in Biloxi. Margaret married Harry Edwards on March 1, 1893 and moved to New Orleans. Cora Aken would marry on November 12, 1893 in Biloxi to Thomas Kneale from New Orleans. They had seven children before she divorced Thomas. She never remarried but ran Kneale Grocery at 414 Nixon. She died February 6, 1943 in Biloxi. Julia Aken would marry Armond Rousseau and live in Biloxi.

One individual who purchased property from the Deer Island Improvement Company was Joseph Fortune Meyer. Some readers will recognize Joseph Meyer’s name from the art world. Joseph Meyer was born in France the son of Francois Antoine Meyer and Jeanne Francoise Bebin. The family moved to America and took up residence in Biloxi before the Civil War. Francois Meyer was a potter whose business and home was on Biloxi’s Back Bay. Francois would teach his son Joseph the pottery trade. Joseph Meyer would become friends with another Biloxian by the name of George E. Ohr. After the Civil War, the Meyer family relocated to New Orleans where Joseph operated a pottery. It would be in New Orleans that young George Ohr would be taught by Joseph Meyer the pottery trade. Both Joseph Meyer and George Ohr were hired by Newcomb College to instruct pottery classes at the Newcomb Art School. Today both men’s works of pottery are considered extraordinary art ware.

After Joseph purchased the Deer Island property he continued to live in New Orleans. His Deer Island home became a resort to escape the city life and enjoy the quietness. In a letter dated May 20, 1920 written to his daughter Norma, Joseph describes a visit to Deer Island. On May 16, Joseph indicates that his wife, Charles Wolfarth from Biloxi, and himself went to Deer Island. They found the weather cloudy and very windy. Joseph had written to Frank Ben Baker to meet them at Oak Street but upon arrival Mr. Baker had not shown up. Joseph thought the rough weather may have been the reason so attempts were made to signal to Mr. Baker from Riley’s wharf and then from Johnson’s Fish and Oyster wharf, but to no avail. Mr. Raley proposed to bring them over. Joseph indicated that the crossing was very rough. Upon their arrival they were greeted by Frank’s wife Dorothy Baker. She indicated that Frank Baker had gone across with son Arthur to secure Mr. Hewes’ boat that had broken loose and was a drift. After their visit the return to Biloxi was also affected by a terrific squall. They tried to signal someone to come and get them but it was too misty. During a lull Joseph convinced Mr. Sidney Reynolds to take advantage of the lull to return them to the mainland. Due to the squall some schooners had taken shelter between Deer Island and the mainland. When they reach a point about 300 feet off the anchored schooners the wind began to blow again from the east and just as they touched the wharf the rain fell in sheets. Joseph indicated that before to long they were perfectly drenched.

In another letter Joseph describe the serenity of the Island. Until his death on March 16, 1931 Joseph continued to visit Deer Island on regular bases. The Baker family would refer to Joseph Meyer very affectionately as Uncle Joe. Like Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island Joseph Meyer would also leave his mark of society.

Frank Ben and Dorothy Baker’s descendants continued to live on Deer Island. One son Ralph eventually moved from Deer Island to Biloxi. Of their two daughters, Vera married Fred Lusk and Dorothy married Elbert Meaut, and both moved to Biloxi. Their son Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. While Arthur was a young man, Joseph “Uncle Joe” Meyer had introduce him to his future wife, Eva Walther of New Orleans. Arthur and Eva married and had six children: Arthur, Frank, Donald, Alvin, Ronald, and Fred. They raised their six boys on Deer Island. When their son Ronald married Velma Demet, they made their home on Deer Island. Three of Ronald and Velma’s six children David, Larry, and Cynthia, would begin their lives on Deer Island.

The Aken and Baker families had lived on Deer Island for six generations. What one has to realize is that Deer Island was continually occupied from the 1700s to 1969. During the 1800s to early 1900s, life on Deer Island would be view as a typical way of life for the times. Yet with the advent of electrical power to homes all along our coast, there began a change and a new way of life. On Deer Island life continued the same as before electric with the exception of a 32 volt system of lights generated by storage batteries. Of course, one would turn the light on, take care of business, and then turn the light off. By the mid 1950s, the Baker family added a gasoline generator to power the lights and other appliances. Free flowing artesian water was fed from the well to a gravity tank to furnish the family’s water needs. Weekly, the Family would secure grocery items from Esse Gonsoulin’s Grocery & Market located at 1101 East Beach. One of the interesting facts about the Baker family was that the children attended the Biloxi Public Schools by taking a boat to Oak Street in Biloxi in the morning and back in the afternoon.

The Baker family lived on Deer Island until the events of August 1969. Hurricane Camille had entered the Gulf of Mexico and was threatening Mississippi and Louisiana. On Sunday morning August 17, Arthur and Eva Baker gathered their family and left their home unaware that it would be the last time. That evening Camille came ashore as a category 5 storm causing unbelievable destruction. After Camille the Baker family would live on two boats tied to the Baker Pier on Deer Island for 3 months. The two boats were the Doris Mae and the Progress. The family finally left Deer Island the first week of November and moved to Biloxi. This ended a long line of Bakers, and Aken family members who had lived their lives on Deer Island. Even though the Baker family still owns three sections of Deer Island, no one has officially lived on Deer Island since 1969. Yet to the Baker and Aken family decedents Deer Island has remained a place for family socials and their play ground.

We have discussed Deer Island early Native American history, its colonial
history and some of its most enduring individuals. We have yet to touch on
the legends and tales that embraced Deer Island, our coast, and our culture.
There has been numerous tales of pirates and of gold being buried on the
barrier islands. One of the most interesting stories appeared in the Biloxi
Herald on April 1, 1902. It seems that an elderly Biloxian, who was not
identified by the paper, told this story to the editor. In 1859 an elderly
gentlemen by the name of Senor Cardenas was a passenger on the steamboat
Creole that was headed to Biloxi. When he became ill Captain Charles
Walker asked the Biloxian to care for Senor Cardenas. The Biloxian stayed in
the cabin with Senor Cardenas and cared for him but Senor Cardenas died
during passage. Per Senor Cardenas request, Captain Walker handed the
Biloxian a sealed letter and a note. In the note Senor Cardenas asked the
Biloxian to have his remains shipped to New Orleans and to keep the sealed
letter until someone called for it.

On February 17, 1902 (some 43 years later) Senor Cardenas son appeared at the Biloxian's door. After receiving and reading the letter Don Cardenas asked the Biloxian if a tree grew in Biloxi with a ring created by nature in its limbs. The Biloxian says yes and took him to location of the oak refereed to as the Ring in the Oak. Don Cardenas climbed the tree and took his bearings off the ring to a location on Deer Island. The Biloxian and Don Cardenas rowed over to Deer Island and using the instructions in the letter dug up a metal box and two old swords. According to the story the box contained gold coins of Spanish origin. The Biloxian received a handsome reward and Don Cardenas returned to New Orleans. The article indicated if you don't believe the story go to J. B. Lemon's drug store in Biloxi and look at the sword and old coins he had placed there. One interesting note is that the Cardenas mentioned here spell their names the same as Bishop Cardenas who confirmed the families on Deer Island in 1798.

The stories of ghost, pirates, civil war, storms, and other legends have haunted Deer Island for centuries. Several proposed developments have occurred from the 1950s to the present, but Deer Island has weathered all of them. Just like the aftermath of a hurricane, Deer Island is a little battered but it seems to restores itself in time. It may be that Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island taught us a lesson that must be read from in-between-the-lines. That is, it may be better to conform to Deer Island and the life it offers instead of trying to conform Deer Island to us. The State of Mississippi recently purchased a large section of Deer Island with exception to the western sections owned by Baker family descendents. Only time will tell what will become of Deer Island, thus closing another chapter in Mississippi Coast History.

The Biloxi Herald, April 1, 1902
The Biloxi Herald, February 22, 1896 page 8 columns 1, Peter Baker
The Biloxi Herald, Saturday July 12, 1913, Joseph Aken, Old Biloxian Dead
The Biloxi Herald, September 18, 1939, Grandma Aken turn 100 years, page 9
Times Picayune, March 22, 1940 Harriet Aken 100 dies, page 1
The Biloxi Herald, March 24, 1940, Deer Island Resident Today Celebrates Century of Life Grandma Aken death
The Daily Herald, January 4, 1928, Page 10, Column 4, Joseph Meyer Lived in Biloxi
A History of Mississippi, edited by Richard Aubrey McLemore, Volume One
Mississippi Provincial Archives French Domination by Rowland, Sanders, and Galloway
Joseph Meyers Letters, Ohr/O’Keefe Museum of Art collection.
Stevens Collection located in the Historical & Genealogical Section of the Biloxi Library
Oral Baker Family History from conversations with Alvin Baker, Arthur Baker, and Cynthia Baker Powell.
Lemein Family History conversation with Mrs. Elaine Lemein Rolls
Aken Family History from emails with Elaine Kneale Knafla.


Wusstest du schon?

  • In 2019, 164,939 youth participated in the Seedlings for Schools program, an increase of 4,663 children.
  • 67 schools across the Commonwealth benefitted from a new Pollinator Garden program that teaches youth about pollinating insects and the value of creating a habitat for them.
  • The PA Game Commission’s Howard Nursery administers the Seedlings for School program and Wildlife for Everyone helps subsidize this free program for students.

© 2006 - 2021 Wildlife for Everyone All rights reserved.
Wildlife for Everyone, 341 Science Park Rd., Suite 103, State College, PA 16803-2287
(814) 238-8138 [email protected]

Design Copyright 2006 - 2021 Blue Banana Designs
Web site designed, developed, and hosted by
Blue Banana Designs - Web Site Design, Web Site Hosting, E-commerce


How did the white deer herd at the former Seneca Army Depot get started and why has it lasted?

The white deer at the former Seneca Army Depot in Romulus have been protected since the late 1940s by the fence that has surrounded the depot. They now number about 200.

(Stephen D. Cannerelli [email protected])

Romulus, N.Y. -- How did white, white-tailed deer at the former Seneca Army Depot get there and why has the herd lasted so long?

The depot, which was hurriedly built back in 1941 as World War II loomed, was fenced in for security reasons. And within that 24 miles of fenced in land were several dozen, regular brown-colored white-tailed deer and numerous other wildlife.

The history of the white deer herd at the depot, the world's largest, traces its roots back to 1949, when the depot's commander, Col. Franklin Kemble, was first alerted of their presence and gave orders not to shoot them.

Kemble told his men, "'If any of you guys shoot them, you're on the next plane to Greenland," said Dennis Money, president of Seneca White Deer and a retired project environmental analyst who worked at Rochester Gas and Electric.

The white deer were not albinos, which have pink eyes. These deer simply carried a recessive gene for white hair. They had brown or gray eyes.

The white ones lived and interbred with the brown deer. The combined, protected herd continued to grow and by the mid-1950s numbered more than 2,000. Two tough winters, though, resulted in a number of them starving.

The military teamed up with the state Department of Environmental Conservation and devised a plan to keep the herd healthy and genetically solid, Money said. They started offering nearly two weeks of hunting each fall, attended by past and current military personnel, along with (now former) civilian employees at the depot. The depot staff also planted food plots and mowed the grass in certain sections to encourage the growth of plants that the deer savor.

At first only brown deer could be shot, but in time the white deer were numerous enough to be included. Currently, the numbers of hunters are restricted to about a little more than three dozen a day and they have to participate in a lottery to see who gets to shoot white ones, said Stephen Absolom, the depot's environmental coordinator and installation manager in a 2010 interview.


When I was a boy I learned about a tribe of natives (Lipan Apache) that had an initiation into manhood which involved plucking a hair from the tail of a live deer. These people had developed a mode of stealth that allowed them to walk right up to deer–head on–without the deer sensing their presence or noticing their advance. I adopted the technique for moving through the woods silently, but never to the point where I could stealthily touch a deer.

I'll skip the masking your scent and disguising your appearance parts and just give you the silent walking part.

First of all, you must have good balance, so take a semi-squat stance to lower you body weight. With each step, you will balance on one foot, while you test the ground ahead of you with the smallest toe of your other foot. You want to plant your foot where it isn't going to make any noise, first touch the ground with your small toe, using it to part the grass or move leaves, then gently rock onto your lateral arch down to your heel as you shift your weight onto your forward foot and flatten it out onto the ground, the last part of your foot to touch the ground is your big toe. Complete the step by transferring all your weight to your forward foot, then feel ahead with the other.

The deer touchers did this very slow, averaging about 80 seconds per step, in a breeze they could rock with the grass and branches and go about 60 seconds a step. The super slow speeds were so the deer wouldn't register them moving, even if they were staring straight in their direction.

When nothing's watching you you can move quickly through the woods stepping this way, just touch with your small toe first and ease into each step, when you get good you tend to glide more than you stride. The part to practice is making contact with the ground without making a crunch, it's easy to do on a path, but harder to do when moving through the bush.

As far as what clothes and shoes to wear: the deer touchers went barefoot and wore nothing but a loincloth and ash from a fire, but any soft soled shoe will work for foot wear, toeshoes would be the best. For clothing you don't want to wear anything synthetic, nylon and polyester make that whishing sound when you walk. Soft cotton or wool is best for moving silently, think ninja knickers, light and breathable.