Tomich DE-242 - Geschichte

Tomich DE-242 - Geschichte



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Tomich
(DE-242: dp. 1.200; 1. 306'0", b. 36'10"; dr. 12'3"; s. 19.5 k.; kpl. 216, a. 3 3", 2 40mm., 8 20 mm, 2 dct.,8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Edsall)

Tomich (DE-242) wurde am 15. September 1942 in Houston, Texas, von der Brown Shipbuilding Co. auf Kiel gelegt; ins Leben gerufen am 28. Dezember 1942; gesponsert von Frau O. L. Hammonds; und am 27. Juli 1943 in Dienst gestellt, Lt. Comdr. H. A. Rumpf im Kommando.

Nach der Indienststellung brach Tomich am 12. August von Galveston aus auf und erreichte am folgenden Tag New Orleans. Die Eskorte des Zerstörers verließ die Gewässer von Louisiana am 19. mit dem Ziel Bermuda und vier Wochen Shakedown-Training. Am 23. September verließ Tomich in Begleitung von Farquhar (DE-139) Bermuda und eskortierte Merrimack (AO-37) nach Norfolk, bevor er nach Charleston, SC, und Verfügbarkeit segelte.

Tomich segelte am 9. Oktober nach Kuba und trainierte in karibischen Gewässern weiter und erreichte am 12. Guantanamo Bay. Fünf Tage später traf das Begleitschiff mit dem Armeetransport George Washington zusammen und eskortierte sie nach Kingston, Jamaika. Tomich kehrte sofort nach Kuba zurück. Bei ihrer Ankunft in Guantanamo Bay später am selben Tag, dem 17. Oktober, erhielt sie den Befehl, nach Dorado (SS-248) zu suchen, die am 6. Oktober von New London aus gesegelt war und am 14. in der Kanalzone eintreffen sollte. Tomich suchte bis zum 22. nach dem vermissten U-Boot, konnte aber keine Spur davon finden.

Sechs Tage später nahm die Eskorte des Zerstörers Kurs auf Hampton Roads, um Pike (SS-173) nach Norfolk zu screenen. Am 30. von diesem Dienst entlassen, kehrte sie nach Guantanamo Bay zurück, bevor sie wieder nach Norden fuhr und am 5. November in Norfolk einlief.

Neun Tage später trat Tomich auf den Bildschirm des Konvois UGS-24, der nach Französisch-Marokko fuhr. Am 2. Dezember, nachdem alle ihre Schützlinge Hafen gemacht hatten, ging sie vor Casablanca vor Anker. Ankunft in New York am Weihnachtsmorgen 1943. Nachdem er den Konvoi GUS-24 eskortiert hatte, sicherte Tomich neben Pier "K" des New York Navy Yard die Verfügbarkeit, die bis 1944 andauerte.

Am 5. Januar 1944 verließ Tomich die Werft und fuhr zum Block Island Sound, um vor Montauk Point, Long Island, Geschütz- und U-Boot-Abwehrtraining zu absolvieren. Fünf Tage später dampfte das Schiff nach Norfolk, Virginia, in Begleitung anderer Einheiten der Eskortdivision (CortDiv) 7, um sich anderen Schiffen der Task Force 63 anzuschließen, um den Konvoi UGS-30 nach Casablanca zu eskortieren. Nach einer kurzen unabhängigen Fahrt nach Gibraltar, wo sie neben dem berühmten britischen Schlachtschiff HMS Warspite festmachte, verließ Tomich am 4. Februar die britische Basis und traf sich am nächsten Tag mit dem Konvoi GUS-29.

Am 8. vom Konvoischirm abgelöst, fuhr sie auf die Azoren, wo sie SS Phoenis Banning und SS Abraham Baldwin traf. Wieder bei der GUS-29 mit ihren beiden Schützlingen, setzte Tomich bis zum 17. Am folgenden Tag erhielt die Zerstörereskorte erneut Befehle für den unabhängigen Dienst und eskortierte Mattaponi (AO-41) und SS Sangara nach Bermuda, bevor sie nach Norden zum New York Navy Yard zur Verfügbarkeit ab dem 22. Februar zurückkehrte.

Tomich machte sich am 5. März 1944 auf den Weg nach Bayonne, N.J., wo sie sich einer Deperming unterzog, bevor sie zur Auffrischungsschulung nach Montauk Point ging. Die

Zerstörereskorte segelte nach Hampton Roads und kam am 11. in Norfolk an. Zwei Tage später segelte sie als Eskorte für den Konvoi UGS-36 nach Tunesien.

Am 30. März passierte der Konvoi die Straße von Gibraltar in Richtung Bizerte. Während der Abendwache des 31. suchte Tomich einen Sonarkontakt auf und ging in die Hauptquartiere, um das Echo aufzuspüren. Tomich ließ zwei Muster mit 13 Ladungen fallen, blieb die ganze Nacht im allgemeinen Quartier und leitete in Begleitung der HMS Black Swan eine Anti-U-Boot-Patrouille ein. Um 04:01 Uhr, als Tomich wieder auf den Bildschirm kam, entdeckten ihre Ausguck feindliche Flugzeuge vor ihrem Backbordbug. Unabhängig im Zick-Zack am Backbordbug des Konvois eröffnete die Zerstörereskorte um 04:10 Uhr mit ihrer gesamten Flak-Batterie das Feuer. 88er, kamen schnell und niedrig; aber das schwere Flakfeuer der Eskorten vertrieb ihre Angreifer ohne Verluste.

Nachdem alle ihre Ladungen sicher den Hafen erreicht hatten, wurde Tomich dem heimwärtsgehenden Konvoi GUS36 zugeteilt, aber am 13. April abgesetzt, um zur Inspektion ihres Steuerbordschachts nach Oran, Algerien, zu fahren. Nachdem die Untersuchung ergab, dass alles in Ordnung war, schloss sich das Schiff am 14. wieder ihrem Konvoi an. Anschließend traf sie am 2. Mai in New York ein und wurde bei der Marinewerft zur Verfügung gestellt, bevor sie zur Auffrischungsausbildung nach Casco Bay ging.

Am 20. kehrte Tomich nach Norfolk zurück und segelte als Teil der TF 64 und begleitete den Konvoi UGS-43 nach Bizerte. Nachdem er Nordafrika erreicht hatte, wurde Tomich lange genug vom Konvoi abgesetzt, um Carib (AT-82) zu eskortieren, die Menges (DE-320) auf die Azoren schleppte. Als sie in Horta ankam, schloss sich Tomich dem heimkehrenden Konvoi GUS-43 an.

Die Verfügbarkeit bei der New Yorker Marinewerft Anfang Juli ging weiteren Trainingsübungen in Casco Bay Maine voraus, bevor das Schiff am 1. Nachdem eine weitere Werft zur Verfügung stand, machte sie einen Küstenkonvoi von New York nach Boston. Dann besetzte das Training in Casco Bay das Schiff bis in den Oktober hinein. Am 10. kam Tomich in Quonset Point, R.I., für spezielle Radar- und U-Boot-Abwehrtests und Übungen mit Barracuda (SS-163) und landgestützten Flugzeugen von der Quonset Point Naval Air Station an. Am 13. verließ Tomich das Gebiet und kehrte am 14. für weitere Trainingsübungen nach Casco Bay zurück, bevor er am 4. November in Norfolk ankam.

Am 7. November startete Tomich in Begleitung des Rests von CortDiv 7 und Core (CVE-13) von der Naval Operating Base in Hampton Roads zum Bermuda- und U-Boot-Abwehrgruppentraining. Am 10. November angekommen, absolvierte die Gruppe für den Rest des Monats intensive Übungen, bevor sie am 6. Dezember nach New York zurückkehrte. Tomich operierte für den Rest des Jahres 1944 und bis ins Frühjahr 1945 an der Ostküste der Vereinigten Staaten bei Anti-U-Boot-Operationen im Westatlantik.

Nach einer Überholung bei der Boston Navy Yard im Mai und Juni dampfte das Schiff in die Karibik. Sie verließ Guantanamo Bay am 16. Juli 1945, passierte am 18. den Panamakanal und kam am 26. in San Diego an. Sie verließ diesen Hafen am 31., führte Übungen auf dem Weg nach Hawaii durch und erreichte Pearl Harbor am 7. August, als der Krieg im Pazifik seinen Höhepunkt erreichte. Der unaufhaltsame Vormarsch der amerikanischen Luft- und Seestreitkräfte – gekrönt durch den Abwurf von Atombomben auf Hiroshima und Nagasaki – zwang Japan zur bedingungslosen Kapitulation. Unterdessen setzte Tomich seine Trainingsübungen in hawaiianischen Gewässern fort, bevor er am 20. August Pearl Harbor in Richtung Westpazifik verließ.

Tomich machte am 29. August in Saipan Hafen, bevor er am 1. September unabhängig zu den Bonins fuhr. Die Eskorte des Zerstörers löste Helm (DD388) auf der Luft-Seenotrettungsstation am 5. September für einen fünftägigen Aufenthalt ab, bevor er nach Iwo Jima und Wiederauffüllung fuhr. Sie operierte für den Rest des Jahres 1945 und bis 1946 in Gewässern zwischen Iwo Jima, Okinawa und Saipan, bevor sie nach China fuhr. Sie machte am 13. Januar 1946 in Tsingtao Hafen. Sie blieb bis zum 10. April in chinesischen Gewässern im Dienst, als sie Shanghai nach Hawaii verließ. Am 21. April erreichte sie Pearl Harbor und fuhr über die Westküste zum Panamakanal.

Nach seiner Ankunft an der Ostküste wurde das Schiff von Mai bis Ende August in Charleston, S.C., zur Inaktivierung vorbereitet. Tomich fuhr dann weiter nach Mayport, Florida, und kam am 4. September an. Nach weiteren Inaktivierungsverfahren dort wurde Tomich am 20. September 1946 in Green Cove Springs, Florida, als Reserve außer Dienst gestellt. Sie blieb dort, bis ihr Name am 1. November 1972 von der Navy-Liste gestrichen und verschrottet wurde .

Tomich erhielt einen Kampfstern für den Dienst im Zweiten Weltkrieg.


Tomich DE-242 - Geschichte

Peter Tomich wurde am 3. Juni 1893 geboren. Nach unseren Aufzeichnungen war Kalifornien sein Heimatstaat oder Bundesstaat und Los Angeles County wurde in die Archivaufzeichnungen aufgenommen. Als Stadt haben wir Los Angeles eingetragen. Er hatte sich bei der United States Navy eingeschrieben. Eingetreten in den Dienst über das reguläre Militär. Im Zweiten Weltkrieg gedient. Tomich hatte den Rang eines Chief Petty Officer. Seine militärische Tätigkeit oder Spezialität war Chief Watertender. Die Zuweisung der Dienstnummer war 2276370. Angeschlossen an die USS Utah. Während seines Dienstes im Zweiten Weltkrieg erlebte Navy Chief Petty Officer Tomich ein traumatisches Ereignis, das am 7. Dezember 1941 zum Tode führte. Aufgezeichnete Umstände zugeschrieben: Getötet in Aktion. Unfallort: Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

Peter Tomich (Tonic), manchmal auch als "Gerald Victor" aufgenommen, wurde 1893 in Prolog im heutigen Bosnien-Herzegowina nahe der kroatischen Grenze geboren. Er wanderte 1913 in die Vereinigten Staaten aus und trat 1917 der US-Armee bei. Er wurde US-Staatsbürger und trat 10 Tage nach Ablauf seiner Einberufung in die US-Marine ein.

Er war während des japanischen Angriffs für den Heizraum an Bord der USS Utah in Pearl Harbor verantwortlich. Nachdem das Schiff torpediert war, ging Peter die Luke hinunter, holte seine Männer aus dem sinkenden Schiff, sicherte die Kessel und weigerte sich, seinen Posten zu verlassen, als die Utah im Wasser überrollte.

Am 4. März 1942 wurde Tomich posthum die Congressional Medal of Honor verliehen. Niemand beanspruchte die Medaille, da keine Angehörigen gefunden werden konnten. Die auf Schiffen sowie in Regierungsgebäuden und Museen ausgestellte Medaille wird nun im Washington Navy Yard Museum ausgestellt.

Die Zerstörereskorte USS Tomich (DE-242), 1943–1974, wurde ihm zu Ehren benannt. Er hat ein Denkmal in einer Gegend, in der er gelebt hat, Chardon, Geauga County, Ohio. Er hatte einen Cousin, der als nächster Verwandter genannt wurde und in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, Kalifornien, lebte.

Peter Tomich wird in den Courts of the Missing, dem National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific und dem USS Utah Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii, beerdigt oder gedenken. Dies ist ein Standort der American Battle Monuments Commission.

DIE TOMICH-GESCHICHTE

Matthew und Garnella Tomich kamen Mitte der 1950er Jahre als Brautpaar zu den Berkshires. Dort kauften sie zusammen mit seinem guten Freund vom College, Donald Ward, die ehemalige Dolby’s Nursery im Herzen von Great Barrington, Massachusetts. Nach der Namensänderung in Ward’s Nursery leitete Donald, ein Gärtner, die Gärtnerei, während Matt, ein Landschaftsarchitekt, sich um den Landschaftsbau kümmerte.

Nach vielen erfolgreichen Jahren in der Partnerschaft mit Don beschloss Matt, seinen Traum zu verwirklichen, ein Familienunternehmen zu gründen, in dem seine Söhne die Möglichkeit haben, sich intensiv zu engagieren, und gründete 1975 Matthew Tomich Landscaping. Ihr Betrieb florierte in den Berkshires, bis 1981, als Matt und Garnella die schwere Entscheidung trafen, das Unternehmen und ihre Familie nach Venice, Florida, zu verlegen, um das ganze Jahr über in der boomenden Wirtschaft des Südens zu arbeiten.

In Florida sollten sich seine drei Söhne Christopher, Mark und Peter entscheidend im Unternehmen und in der Landschaftsgestaltungs- und Baubranche etablieren. 1982 zog Matts zweiter Sohn Mark zurück in den Norden in die Berkshires, wo er zu Ward’s Nursery kam, um ihre Landschaftsbauabteilung zu betreiben, genau wie sein Vater es zuvor getan hatte.

Die Berkshires riefen 1988 erneut an, als Matthew und Garnella nach Norden zurückkehrten und sich Mark und seiner Frau Susie anschlossen. Gemeinsam gründeten sie das, was heute als Tomich Landscape Design & Construction bekannt ist. Unterdessen führten Christopher und Peter bis 1994 ihre eigene Abteilung in Venedig, als auch Christopher und seine Familie in den Norden zurückkehrten. Mark und Christopher erschaffen seither fantasievolle und atemberaubende Landschaften in den Berkshires und betreiben zusammen Tomich Landscape Design & Construction von Sheffield aus, während Peter weiterhin eine sehr erfolgreiche Abteilung in Florida leitet.

Zuletzt haben Christophers Sohn Adam und seine Familie den Weg zurück in die Berkshires gefunden und sind in das Unternehmen eingetreten, um das Erbe, die Dienstleistungen und inspirierenden Kreationen von Tomich Landscape Design & Construction für viele Jahre fortzuführen.

Jetzt sind Matthew und Garnella glücklich im Ruhestand und freuen sich, zu sehen, wie ihre Söhne und ihre Familie gedeihen, und sind besonders stolz darauf, dass das Unternehmen in der dritten Generation von Landschaftsliebhabern beschäftigt ist. Jeder von uns freut sich darauf, mit Ihnen zusammenzuarbeiten und Sie als Teil unserer Geschichte zu festigen!


Tomich DE-242 - Geschichte

Von SANDRA JONTZ | STERNE UND STREIFEN Veröffentlicht: 20. Mai 2006

AN BORD DER USS ENTERPRISE — Binnen 12 Minuten verwandelte sich Chief Watertender Peter Tomich vom Gewöhnlichen zum Außergewöhnlichen, vom einfachen Seemann zum Helden.

"Normalerweise überwindet der Griff zum Überleben den Griff der Angst", sagte Admiral Harry Ulrich am Donnerstag treffend, als die Marine den nächsten Angehörigen der Matrosen eine Anerkennung überreichte, die Tomich vor 64 Jahren posthum verliehen wurde.

“Aber im Außergewöhnlichen werden gewöhnliche Männer ungewöhnlich. Sie scheuen die Angst. Sie nahmen ihre Pflicht an und die Zeit erlaubte kein Überleben, sagte Ulrich während einer Zeremonie auf dem Flugdeck des Flugzeugträgers USS Enterprise, der einige Meilen vor der Küste von Split, Kroatien, vor Anker lag.

Als sein torpediertes Schiff, die USS Utah, vor Pearl Harbor sank, rannte Tomich, kroatischer Abstammung, in die entgegengesetzte Richtung der flüchtenden Besatzung zum Kesselraum des Schiffes, um die Kessel vor der Explosion zu bewahren, damit andere entkommen konnten.

Seine Taten am 7. Dezember 1941 brachten ihm die hohe militärische Auszeichnung der Nation — die Ehrenmedaille ein.

"Es wäre unfair, Sie zu bitten, das zu tun, was Peter Tomich getan hat"&8221, sagte Ulrich, Kommandant der U.S. Naval Forces Europe, den mehr als 60 versammelten Chief Petty Officers. “Es wäre fair, Sie zu bitten, bereit zu sein, das zu tun, was Peter Tomich getan hat.”

Tomich habe getan, was Häuptlinge tun sollen: die Verantwortung übernehmen, mit gutem Beispiel vorangehen und seine Matrosen beschützen, sagte Senior Chief Petty Officer Ellis King, der für die Zeremonie am Donnerstag von Neapel, Italien, nach Split flog.

"Keiner von uns will jemals in diese Situation kommen", sagte King. “Aber diese Anker an unseren Kragen zeigen, dass wir bereit sind, dass wir Anführer sind.”

Tomichs nächster Verwandter, Oberstleutnant der kroatischen Armee im Ruhestand Srecko Herceg Tonic, nahm eine Kopie der Medaille entgegen und sagte, er fühle sich geehrt, mit einem Mann verwandt zu sein, der sein Leben für andere gab und dessen Handlungen die Entschlossenheit der Kroaten.

“Es ist der Mut großartiger Menschen wie Peter, der den Geist … dieses Landes definiert”, sagte Herceg Tonic.

Die US-Marine hat Tomich auf andere Weise geehrt. Ein Zerstörer-Eskortschiff, das jetzt außer Dienst gestellt und als Schrott verkauft wurde, trug einst den Namen USS Tomich, DE-242.

Im August 1989 wurde die Senior Enlisted Academy der US Navy in Newport, R.I., nach Tomich benannt.

Bei der Zeremonie am Donnerstag ging es sowohl darum, Tomichs Nachkommen mit der Verleihung einer Medaille zu ehren, als auch darum, einem ihrer eigenen Marineoberoffiziere zu huldigen, sagte Senior Chief Petty Officer Charles Britt nach der etwa einstündigen Zeremonie.

Eine Reaktion, die auch Ulrich hervorhebt.

“An die heutigen Chief Petty Officers — wurde dir ein Held gegeben. Du hast ihn zu deinem Gönner gemacht,&8221 Ulrich. “Du hast gut gewählt.”


Tomich DE-242 - Geschichte

Träger der Ehrenmedaille
für Pearl Harbor


THOMAS JAMES REEVES
9. Dezember 1895 7. Dezember 1941

Dienstgrad und Organisation: Funkelektriker (Warrant Officer), Chief Petty Officer (Chief Radioman) U.S. Navy
Dienstjahre: 1917 - 1919 (Navy Reserve),
1920 - 1941 (Marine)
Akkreditiert in: Connecticut
Auszeichnungen: Ehrenmedaille, posthum verliehen Thomas James Reeves, geboren am 9. Dezember 1895 in Thomaston, Connecticut, war ein Funker der US Navy, der zum Namensgeber der Zerstörereskorte USS Reeves wurde. Reeves wurde während des Angriffs auf Pearl Harbor am 7. Dezember 1941 getötet und erhielt posthum die Ehrenmedaille.
Er trat am 20. Juli 1917 als Elektriker dritter Klasse in die United States Naval Reserve ein. Am 21. Juli 1919 vom Dienst entlassen, wurde er in den aktiven Dienst zurückgerufen und am 16. April 1920 in die reguläre Marine versetzt und diente bis zu seiner Entlassung am 21. August 1921. Am 12. Im Oktober 1921 trat er wieder in die Marine ein und machte es zu seiner Karriere.
Reeves wurde zum Cheffunker befördert und diente auf dem Schlachtschiff California (BB-44), als die Japaner am 7. Dezember 1941 Pearl Harbor angriffen. Während dieses Angriffs wurden die mechanisierten Munitionsaufzüge im Schlachtschiff außer Betrieb gesetzt. Reeves ". auf eigene Initiative, in einem brennenden Gang, bei der Aufrechterhaltung einer Munitionsversorgung der Flugabwehrgeschütze von Hand, bis er von Rauch und Feuer überwältigt wurde, was zu seinem Tod führte.“ Für sein hervorragendes Verhalten wurde RMC Reeves posthum der Ehrenmedaille.

Citation Medal of Honor: "Für herausragendes Verhalten in seinem Beruf, außergewöhnlichen Mut und Missachtung seiner eigenen Sicherheit während des Angriffs auf die Flotte in Pearl Harbor durch japanische Truppen am 7. Dezember 1941 Aktion in der USS Kalifornien, Reeves, auf eigene Initiative, in einem brennenden Gang, half bei der Aufrechterhaltung einer Munitionsversorgung von Hand für die Flugabwehrgeschütze, bis er von Rauch und Feuer überwältigt wurde, was zu seinem Tod führte."

1943 wurde die Zerstörereskorte USS Reeves (DE-156) nach ihm benannt.


Leutnant Donald K. Ross, um 1944 DONALD KIRBY ROSS
8. Dezember 1910 27. Mai 1992

Dienstgrad und Organisation: Maschinist, U.S. Navy
Eingetragener Dienst in: Denver, Colorado
Dienstjahre: 1929 - 1956
Endrang: Kapitän
Schlachten: Angriff auf Pearl Harbor, Schlacht um die Normandie, Operation Dragoon
Auszeichnungen: Ehrenmedaille
Sterbeort: Bremerton, Washington Donald Kirby Ross (8. Dezember 1910 – 27. Mai 1992), geboren in Beverly, Kansas, war ein Offizier der United States Navy, der die Ehrenmedaille erhielt.
Ross trat am 3. Juni 1929 in die US Navy in Denver, Colorado, ein und absolvierte die Grundausbildung in San Diego, Kalifornien. AP-1) bei einem China-Dienstlauf.
Während er auf dem Lazarettschiff Relief (AH-1) diente, erlebte Ross 1931 seinen ersten Einsatz (mit den Marines) in Nicaragua Minneapolis (CA-36) erreichte er im Oktober 1940 den Rang eines Warrant Officer Maschinist und wurde dem Schlachtschiff Nevada (BB-36) zugeteilt.
Während des japanischen Luftangriffs am 7. Dezember 1941 auf Pearl Harbor wurde Nevada durch Bomben und Torpedos schwer beschädigt. Ross zeichnete sich dadurch aus, dass er die Verantwortung übernahm, die Energie bereitzustellen, um das Schiff in Gang zu bringen - das einzige Schlachtschiff, das dies während des japanischen Angriffs tat.

Zitat der Ehrenmedaille: "Für herausragendes Verhalten in seinem Beruf, außergewöhnlichen Mut und Missachtung seines eigenen Lebens während des Angriffs japanischer Streitkräfte auf die Flotte in Pearl Harbor, Territorium von Hawaii, am 7. Dezember 1941. Als seine Station in der Vorwärtsdynamoraum der USS Nevada wurde aufgrund von Rauch, Dampf und Hitze fast unhaltbar, Maschinist Ross zwang seine Männer, diese Station zu verlassen und erledigte alle Aufgaben selbst, bis er erblindete und bewusstlos wurde. Nach seiner Rettung und Wiederbelebung kehrte er zurück und sicherte den vorderen Dynamoraum und begab sich in den hinteren Dynamoraum, wo er später durch Erschöpfung wieder bewusstlos wurde. Er erlangte wieder das Bewusstsein und kehrte zu seiner Station zurück, wo er blieb, bis er angewiesen wurde, sie zu verlassen

Ross wurde im März 1942 zum Chefmechaniker befördert. Am 18. April 1942 wurde ihm von Admiral Chester Nimitz die Ehrenmedaille verliehen und im Juni 1942 wurde er zum Fähnrich ernannt. Später im Krieg nahm er auch an den Landungen in der Normandie und im Süden teil Frankreich.
Er stieg bis zum Ende des Krieges stetig im vorübergehenden Rang zum Lieutenant Commander auf und kehrte am Ende zum Lieutenant zurück. 1949 wurde er erneut zum Lieutenant Commander und im November 1954 zum Commander befördert. Nach seinem Ausscheiden aus dem aktiven Dienst im Juli 1956, nach 27 Dienstjahren an Bord aller damaligen Überwasserschiffe, wurde er zum Kapitän auf der Grundlage seiner Kampfauszeichnungen.
Nachdem er die Navy verlassen hatte, war Captain Ross im Bundesstaat Washington zu Hause und engagierte sich im Farmleben und in Gemeindeangelegenheiten und hielt die Erinnerung an den Angriff auf Pearl Harbor aufrecht, den er als "keine Geschichte über eine Niederlage" bezeichnete. Es ist eine Geschichte über eine gut gemachte Arbeit". Am 7. Dezember 1991 nahm er an den Feierlichkeiten zum 50. Jahrestag in Pearl Harbor teil, bei denen seinem alten Schiff, der USS Nevada, ein Denkmal gewidmet wurde. Kapitän Donald K. Ross starb am 27. Mai 1992 in Bremerton, Washington.
1997 wurde der Lenkwaffenzerstörer USS Ross (DDG-71) zu Ehren von Captain Ross benannt.
ROBERT R. SCOTT
13. Juli 1915 - 7. Dezember 1941

Dienstgrad und Organisation: Maschinist's Mate First Class (Petty Officer First Class), U.S. Navy
Dienstjahre: 1938-1941
Akkreditiert in Ohio
Auszeichnungen: Ehrenmedaille, posthum verliehen

Foto eingereicht von Bill Gonyo


Nationalfriedhof Arlington, #34-3939
Eintritt in die US Navy aus Ohio
Verdiente die Ehrenmedaille für Heldentum in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
Gestorben: 07. Dezember 1941 Alter: 26 Robert R. Scott wurde am 13. Juli 1915 in Massillon, Ohio geboren und trat am 18. April 1938 in die United States Navy ein. Maschinist's Mate First Class Scott wurde der USS California (BB-44) zugeteilt, als die Japaner Pearl Harbor am 7. Dezember 1941. Das Abteil mit dem Luftkompressor, dem Scott als Kampfstation zugeteilt war, wurde durch einen Torpedotreffer überflutet. Der Rest des Personals evakuierte den Raum, aber Scott weigerte sich zu gehen und sagte: "Dies ist meine Station und ich werde bleiben und ihnen Luft geben, solange die Geschütze gehen." Ehre für seinen Heldenmut.

Zitat der Ehrenmedaille: Für auffallende Pflichttreue, außerordentlichen Mut und völlige Missachtung des eigenen Lebens, über die Pflicht hinaus, während des Angriffs der japanischen Streitkräfte auf die Flotte in Pearl Harbor am 7. Dezember 1941. Das Abteil, in die USS Kalifornien, in dem der Luftkompressor, dem Scott als Kampfstation zugeteilt war, durch einen Torpedotreffer überflutet wurde. Der Rest des Personals evakuierte dieses Abteil, aber Scott weigerte sich zu gehen und sagte Worte mit dem Effekt: "Dies ist meine Station und ich werde bleiben und ihnen Luft geben, solange die Geschütze gehen."

1943 wurde die Zerstörereskorte USS Scott (DE-214) nach ihm benannt. Scott war auch ein ehemaliger Student an der Ohio State University, wo das Wohnheim Scott House nach ihm benannt ist. PETER TOMICH
3. Juni 1893 7. Dezember 1941

Dienstgrad und Organisation: Chief Watertender, U.S. Navy
Akkreditiert in: New Jersey
Dienstjahre: 1. Weltkrieg (Armee), 1919 - 1941 (Marine)
Serviert auf: USS Litchfield (DD-336), USS Utah (AG-16)
Auszeichnungen: Ehrenmedaille, posthum verliehen

Foto ist vom historischen Marinezentrum.
Peter Tomich (3. Juni 1893 7. Dezember 1941), geboren in Prolog, Österreich-Ungarn, war ein ethnischer Kroate, der in Prolog bei Ljubuki, Österreich-Ungarn, im späteren Bosnien und Herzegowina, geboren wurde. Während des Ersten Weltkriegs diente er in der US-Armee. Nach seiner Einberufung in die United States Navy im Januar 1919 diente er zunächst auf dem Zerstörer Litchfield (DD-336).
1941 war er Chief Watertender an Bord des Trainings- und Zielschiffs Utah (AG-16). Am 7. Dezember 1941, als das Schiff in Pearl Harbor vor Ford Island vor Anker lag, wurde es während des japanischen Überfalls auf Pearl Harbor torpediert. Tomich hatte Dienst in einem Heizraum. Als Utah zu kentern begann, blieb er unten, sicherte die Kessel und sorgte dafür, dass andere Männer entkamen und verlor so sein Leben. Für sein damals "herausragendes Verhalten und außergewöhnlichen Mut" wurde ihm posthum die Ehrenmedaille verliehen. Seine Ehrenmedaille war in der Senior Enlisted Academy der Marine (Tomich Hall) ausgestellt, bis sie am 18. Mai 2006 an Bord der USS Enterprise in der Adria vor der Küste Kroatiens posthum an Mitglieder seiner Familie verliehen wurde.

Auszeichnung mit der Ehrenmedaille: Für herausragendes Verhalten in seinem Beruf und außergewöhnlichen Mut und Missachtung seiner eigenen Sicherheit während des Angriffs der japanischen Streitkräfte auf die Flotte in Pearl Harbor am 7. Dezember 1941. Obwohl er erkannte, dass das Schiff kenterte , infolge feindlicher Bombardierung und Torpedos blieb Tomich auf seinem Posten in der Maschinenfabrik der USS Utah, bis er sah, dass alle Kessel gesichert waren und das gesamte Personal der Feuerwache ihre Stationen verlassen hatte und dabei sein eigenes Leben verlor.

Die Zerstörereskorte USS Tomich (DE-242), 1943-1974, wurde zu Ehren von Chief Watertender Tomich benannt.
FRANKLIN VAN VALKENBURGH
5. April 1888 7. Dezember 1941

Dienstgrad und Organisation: Kapitän, U.S. Navy
Dienstjahre 1905 - 1941
Ernennung aus: Wisconsin
Kommandos: USS Talbot (DD-114), Zerstörergeschwader Fünf, USS Melville (AD-2), USS Arizona (BB-39)
Auszeichnungen: Ehrenmedaille, posthum verliehen

Foto vom Naval Historical Center, gesendet von Bill Gonyo Franklin Van Valkenburgh (5. April 1888 7. Dezember 1941), geboren in Minneapolis, Minnesota, war der letzte Kapitän der USS Arizona. Er wurde getötet, als die Arizona während des Angriffs auf Pearl Harbor explodierte und sank.
Franklin Van Valkenburgh wurde am 15. September 1905 zum Midshipman an der United States Naval Academy ernannt und graduierte am 4. Juni 1909. Nach Diensten auf dem Schlachtschiff Vermont (BB-20) und in South Carolina (BB-26) wurde Van Valkenburgh zum Fähnrich ernannt am 5. Juni 1911. Kurz darauf reiste er zur Asiatic Station und schloss sich am 11. September dem U-Boot-Tender Rainbow (AS-7) in Olongapo auf den Philippinen an. Er meldete sich am 23. Juni 1914 als Exekutivoffizier auf dem Kanonenboot Pampanga (PG-39) für eine kurze Tour auf den Südphilippinen, bevor er am 4. August abkommandierte.
Nach seiner Rückkehr in die Vereinigten Staaten wechselte Lt. (jg.) Van Valkenburgh am 11. November zu Connecticut (BB-18). Nach einer postgradualen Arbeit in Dampftechnik an der Naval Academy im September 1915 nahm er weitere Ausbildungen in diesem Bereich an der Columbia University wahr, bevor er am 2. März 1917 nach Rhode Island (BB-17) berichtete. Der Eintritt der Vereinigten Staaten in den Ersten Weltkrieg fand Van Valkenburgh als technischer Offizier des Schlachtschiffs. Ein anschließender vorübergehender Dienst im Empfangsschiff in New York ging seiner ersten Tournee als Ausbilder an der Naval Academy voraus. Am 1. Juni 1920 meldete sich Van Valkenburgh an Bord der Minnesota (BB-22) zum Dienst als Ingenieuroffizier und bekleidete diesen Posten bis zur Außerdienststellung des Schlachtschiffs im November 1921.
Er diente erneut als Ausbilder an der Naval Academy - bis zum 15. Mai 1925 - bevor er am 26. Juni nach Maryland (BB-46) wechselte. Am 2. Juni 1927 zum Kommandanten in Maryland ernannt, meldete er sich bald zum Dienst im Büro des Chief of Naval Operations am 21. Mai 1928 und diente dort während der Verwaltung der Admirale Charles F. Hughes und William V. Pratt. Am 28. Juni 1931 abgesetzt, erhielt Van Valkenburgh am 10. Juli das Kommando über den Zerstörer Talbot (DD-114) und kommandierte ab 31. März 1932 das Zerstörergeschwader 5.
Nach dem Besuch des Naval War College in Newport, R.I. und dem Abschluss des Seniorenkurses im Mai 1934, war Comdr. Van Valkenburgh diente als nächstes als Inspektor für Marinematerial bei der New York Navy Yard, bevor er vom 8. Juni 1936 bis 11. Juni 1938 als Kommandierender Offizier von Melville (AD-2) wieder zur See ging. Er wurde zum Kapitän befördert, während er Melville kommandierte - am 23. Dezember 1937 - er war vom 6. August 1938 bis 22. Januar 1941 als Materialinspektor für den 3d Naval District tätig.
Am 5. Februar 1941 löste Van Valkenburgh Captain Harold C. Train als Kommandierender Offizier von Arizona (BB-39) ab. Arizona wurde neu auf der Puget Sound Naval Shipyard umgerüstet und diente für den Rest des Jahres als Flaggschiff der Battleship Division 1, die hauptsächlich in Pearl Harbor mit zwei Reisen an die Westküste stationiert war. Am 4. Dezember fuhr das Schlachtschiff in Begleitung von Nevada (BB-36) und Oklahoma (BB-37) zum nächtlichen Überwassertraining zur See und kehrte nach Durchführung dieser Geschützübungen am 6. selbstständig nach Pearl Harbor zurück, um am Liegeplatz F . festzumachen -7 neben Ford Island.
Sowohl Kapitän Van Valkenburgh als auch der eingeschiffte Divisionskommandeur Konteradmiral Isaac C. Kidd verbrachten den nächsten Samstagabend, den 6. Dezember, an Bord. Am 7. Dezember, kurz vor 8:00 Uhr, donnerten plötzlich japanische Flugzeuge über ihnen, zerstörten den Sonntagsfrieden und unterstrichen ihn mit Bombenexplosionen und dem Stakkatohämmern von Maschinengewehren. Kapitän Van Valkenburgh eilte aus seiner Kabine vorwärts und erreichte die Navigationsbrücke, wo er sofort begann, seine Schiffsverteidigung zu leiten. Ein Quartiermeister im Lotsenhaus fragte, ob der Kapitän zum Kommandoturm gehen wolle - eine weniger exponierte Position angesichts der japanischen Belagerung -, aber Van Valkenburgh weigerte sich und bemannte weiterhin ein Telefon, um um sein Schiffsleben zu kämpfen.
Eine heftige Explosion erschütterte das Schiff plötzlich, schleuderte die drei Insassen der Brücke – Van Valkenburgh, einen Fähnrich und den Quartiermeister – auf Deck und zerschmetterte die Brückenfenster. Benommen und erschüttert stolperte der Fähnrich durch die Flammen und den Rauch und entkam, aber die anderen wurden nie wieder gesehen. Ein anhaltendes Feuer, gespeist von Munition und Öl, loderte zwei Tage lang, bis es am 9. Dezember endgültig gelöscht wurde. Eine anschließende Durchsuchung fand nur den Klassenring von Kapitän Van Valkenburgh.
Dem Kapitän wurde posthum die Ehrenmedaille für den tapferen Kampf gegen sein Schiff verliehen, er leitete seine Verteidigung in der tragisch kurzen Zeit, die ihm zugestanden wurde.

Zitat der Ehrenmedaille: "Für auffallende Pflichttreue, außergewöhnlichen Mut und völlige Missachtung seines eigenen Lebens während des Angriffs der japanischen Streitkräfte auf die Flotte in Pearl Harbor T. H. am 7. Dezember 1941. Als Kommandierender Offizier der U.S.S. Arizona, Kapitän Van Valkenburgh kämpfte tapfer gegen sein Schiff, bis die U.S.S. Arizona explodierte von Magazinexplosionen und einem direkten Bombentreffer auf der Brücke, was zu seinem Leben führte."

1943 wurde ihm zu Ehren der Zerstörer USS Van Valkenburgh (DD-656) benannt.
JAMES RICHARD WARD
10. September 1921 - 7. Dezember 1941

Dienstgrad und Organisation: Seaman First Class, U.S. Navy
Dienstjahre: 1940-1941
Dienstantritt in: Springfield, Ohio
Auszeichnungen: Ehrenmedaille, posthum verliehen
James Richard Ward (10. September 1921 7. Dezember 1941) wurde in Springfield, Ohio geboren. Am 25. November 1940 trat er in Cincinnati, Ohio, bei der United States Navy ein. Nach der Grundausbildung meldete er sich an Bord des Schlachtschiffs Oklahoma (BB-37).
Als die Japaner Pearl Harbor am 7. Dezember 1941 angriffen, nahm Oklahoma kurz nach Beginn des Angriffs drei Torpedos ab. Sie listete gefährlich auf, und es war bald klar, dass sie kentern würde. The order was given to abandon ship, but Seaman First Class Ward remained in a turret holding a flashlight, thus sacrificing his own life to permit other members of the crew to escape. For his heroism at that time, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor Citation: "For conspicuous devotion to duty, extraordinary courage and complete disregard of his life, above and beyond the call of duty, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. When it was seen that the U.S.S. Oklahoma was going to capsize and the order was given to abandon ship, Ward remained in a turret holding a flashlight so the remainder of the turret crew could see to escape, thereby sacrificing his own life."

In 1943, the destroyer escort USS J. Richard Ward (DE-243), was named in honor of Seaman First Class Ward.
CASSIN YOUNG
March 6, 1894 - November 13, 1942

Rank and organization: Commander, U.S. Navy
Appointed from: Wisconsin
Place of death: killed in action in Guadalcanal
Awards: Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Awarded Posthumously Cassin Young (March 6, 1894 November 13, 1942) was an officer of the United States Navy who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism during the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Young was born in Washington, D.C., on March 6, 1894. After graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy on June 3, 1916, he served on the battleship Connecticut (BB-18) into 1919, then spent several years in submarines. During that period, he commanded the Submarines R-23 and R-2. During the mid and late 1920s, he served in Naval Communications on the staff of Commander Submarine Divisions, Battle Fleet, and at the Naval Academy.
During 1931 33, Lieutenant Commander Young served on the battleship New York (BB-34). He was subsequently awarded command of the destroyer Evans (DD-78) and was assigned to the Eleventh Naval District in 1935 37. After promotion to the rank of Commander, he commanded Submarine Division Seven and was stationed at Naval Submarine Base New London, in Groton, Connecticut.
When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, he was Commanding Officer of the repair ship Vestal (AR-4), which was badly damaged by enemy bombs and the explosion of the battleship Arizona (BB-39). Commander Young rapidly organized offensive action, personally taking charge of one of Vestal's antiaircraft guns. When Arizona's forward magazine exploded, the blast blew Young overboard. Although stunned, he was determined to save his ship by getting her away from the blazing Arizona. Swimming back to Vestal, which was already damaged and about to be further damaged, Young got her underway and beached her, thus insuring her later salvage. His heroism was recognized with the Medal of Honor.
Promoted to Captain in February 1942, he later was given command of the heavy cruiser San Francisco (CA-38). In the Solomon Islands campaign, Captain Young commanded San Francisco in the Battle of Cape Esperance and the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal with great distinction. On 13 November 1942, during the latter battle, he guided his ship in action with a superior Japanese force and was killed by enemy shells while closely engaging the battleship Hiei. Captain Young was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his actions during the campaign and San Francisco received the Presidential Unit Citation.

Medal of Honor citation: "For distinguished conduct in action, outstanding heroism and utter disregard of his own safety, above and beyond the call of duty, as Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Vestal, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, by enemy Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. Commander Young proceeded to the bridge and later took personal command of the 3-inch antiaircraft gun. When blown overboard by the blast of the forward magazine explosion of the U.S.S. Arizona, to which the U.S.S. Vestal was moored, he swam back to his ship. The entire forward part of the U.S.S. Arizona was a blazing inferno with oil afire on the water between the two ships as a result of several bomb hits, the U.S.S. Vestal was afire in several places, was settling and taking on a list. Despite severe enemy bombing and strafing at the time, and his shocking experience of having been blown overboard, Commander Young, with extreme coolness and calmness, moved his ship to an anchorage distant from the U.S.S. Arizona, and subsequently beached the U.S.S. Vestal upon determining that such action was required to save his ship."

In 1943, the destroyer USS Cassin Young (DD-793) was named in his honor.

Source: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships <http://history.navy.mil/danfs/c4/cassin_young.htm>
Naval Historical Center's bio of Cassin Young <http://history.navy.mil/photos/pers-us/uspers-xz/c-young.htm>


Sources: Naval Historical Center, Medal of Honor Citations, Wikipedia


Copyright ©Genealogy Trails & each Contributor
All rights reserved


Welcome to the Friends of Guisachan

What was Guisachan like in its days of glory? We are fortunate to have obtained a copy of the auction particulars published to promote the sale of the estate on July 24th, 1935. A summation follows:

The 7,242 acres consisted of approximately 143 acres of Policies (parkland), 358 acres of farm lands, grazing parks and a village (the village being Tomich.) The remainder was forest and moor lands.

The Guisachan Mansion House (Lot 1)

The mansion was advertised as being an hour’s drive from Inverness and having a 1 1/2 mile carriage drive guarded by an Entrance Lodge near Tomich Village. The mansion itself was described as consisting of a dining room, drawing room, breakfast room, smoking room, business room, billiards room, library, boudoir, conservatories, 15 bedrooms, 4 dressing rooms, 5 bathrooms and 16 servants’ rooms. There were 10 lavatories and wash closets, very extensive domestic offices, cellars and storage accommodations. The utilities were described as consisting of a hydro electric light plant, hot and cold water, fire hydrants, housemaid’s sinks and coal bunkers on every floor. There was an auxiliary boiler for baths, separate heating to the conservatory and a telephone to the stables and power house.

Click to enlarge images.

East Elevation Guisachan Estate Guisachan Estate: Principal Floor Plan

Fruit and vegetable gardens encompassed about two acres. The Outside Offices consisted of a garage for three cars with covered wash, stables for 20 horses, harness and saddle rooms, a hay loft, two mess rooms, six men’s rooms, a washing house, drying and ironing rooms, kennels, a gun room, Ghillies’ room, store house, carpenter’s shops, two W.C’s, carnation house, greenhouse and store-house, potting shed, tool house, mill shed, wood stores, joiner’s and painter’s shops, and a cart shed.

The farm steading once housed farm equipment, grain, and cattle. It now welcomes self-catering tourists. The Farm Steading The former stables and carriage house are now a private residence.

The Auction bill of sale goes on to read:

“A Special Attraction of the Grounds is the Choice Selection of Hardwood and Evergreen Trees.”

“Close to the house are the Home Falls, about 80 feet high.”

“Some of the grass park adjoining the River Dhiag, close to the Mansion House, could be conveniently formed into a loch by diverting the rivers, and should prove to afford excellent trout fishing.”

“GRASS PARKS AND VALUABLE TIMBER extending in all to about 143 acres.”

The Sporting and Agricultural subject of the HOME FARM extending to about 2,870 acres. ( Lot 2.)

The Home Farm is described as consisting of 330 acres of grass parks and the remainder hill and moorland for sheep grazing, well watered and interspersed with hill lochs. A house containing four rooms and 9 acres was located at Wester Achnaheglish, in which “the Shepherd at present resides, but which could be made a suitable Farm House.” “The Steading is large and modern and at one time housed a herd of pedigree Aberdeen Angus Cattle. It includes 56-stalled Byre, Two large covered Yards fitted with Boxes, Fifteen Calf Pens, Nine Loose Boxes, Stabling for 12, Harness and Hay Room, 3-stall Pony Stable and Harness Room, Five Hen houses, large galvanised 4-bay Hay Shed with 3 drying racks, Barn, Twelve Pigsties, Slaughter-house, Ham curing-house, Gig-house, Tool House, Meal House, Carpenter’s Shop, 11-bay Cart Shed and Granaries. There are also two cottages for Farm Servants.”

The Auction advertisement goes on to extol the 2500 acres of hillside heather where a substantial number of grouse could be shot as well as Blackgame, woodcock and wild duck.

Fishing opportunities on the numerous lochs in the area include reference to a group of 8 fish weighing 21 lbs and the heaviest being 3 1/2 lbs.

Donald Fraser, author of Guisachan: A History, at the steading, now part of Tomich Holidays

Also included in Lot 2 was the Factor’s House consisting of a hall, dining room, sitting room, office with outside entrance, five bed rooms, bath room, and kitchen. There was also a model dairy, tiled throughout with an outside verandah and a five-room Bothy (a primitive shelter.).

Kerrow House, currently a hotel, once housed estate staff. It is said the first litter of Golden Retriever puppies was born here. The original sawmill has recently been purchased for renovation as a private home. The former farm manager’s house is now a private residence.

Most of Tomich Village (Lot 3)

The former dairy is now a rental cottage at Tomich Holidays. Built to house the estate’s stalkers and keepers, The Tomich Hotel now offers rooms for fine dining and a bar. The original school and church, school master’s house and village hall. Now three private residences. The original school and church, schoolmaster’s house and village hall. Image courtesy of Donnie Stirling Thr current post office was built as a coach house for carriages taking visitors to Beauly. These iron gates once stood in front of the mansion. They now mark the entrance to several historical buildings renovated as Tomich Holidays.

Lord Tweedmouth built Tomich Village to house workers on the estate to provide such basics as a school, post office, garden, shop, garage, outhouses, the cottage at the school, the Tomich Hotel and 25 houses There were also additional buildings known as Wilton Lodge, the Kennels, the Entrance Lodge, the Sawmill and two additional houses. All were occupied by renters, with the gross rental being noted for each.

4,200 Acres of Deer Forest (Lot 4)

These lands were advertised as being adjacent to a sanctuary where deer were fed during the winter and stags were plentiful. It was said to be intersected by a roadway and a number of pony paths. “Rough Shooting” opportunities were also extolled with references to Roe, Blackgame and Ptarmigan. There were also said to be a number of lochs offering excellent trout fishing.

Hilton Cottage (Lot 5)

This property contained about ten acres, a small loch and was said to be suitable for a Gentleman’s residence.


Brown SB Co, Houston, США (USA)

[[LSM 490, LSM 490 > MMC 12 (1945) Landing ship (medium), USA]] /// Built in USA [[File:LSM 490, LSM 490 > MMC 12 (1945) Landing ship (medium)-0.png|thumb|710px]]

[[LSM 492, LSM 492 > MMC 14 (1945) Landing ship (medium), USA]] /// Built in USA [[File:LSM 492, LSM 492 > MMC 14 (1945) Landing ship (medium)-0.png|thumb|710px]]

[[LSM 493, LSM 493 > MMC 13 (1945) Landing ship (medium), USA]] /// Built in USA [[File:LSM 493, LSM 493 > MMC 13 (1945) Landing ship (medium)-0.png|thumb|710px]]


Geschichte

Neal A. Scott was laid down on 1 June 1943 by the Tampa Shipbuilding Company, Tampa, Florida launched on 4 June 1944, co-sponsored by Mrs. Leigh Scott and Miss Margaret Scott, mother and sister, respectively, of Ensign Scott and commissioned on 31 July 1944 with Lt. P. D. Holden in command.

Battle of the Atlantic

Following shakedown off Bermuda and availability at Boston, Massachusetts, Neal A. Scott steamed to Norfolk, Virginia, thence to Solomons Island, Maryland, where she conducted acoustic test runs for the Naval Mine Warfare Test Station during the first two weeks of November 1944. She then proceeded back to Norfolk whence she operated as a training ship in the lower Chesapeake Bay area until 10 December. The next day she sortied from Lynnhaven Roads in Task Force 63 to escort convoy UGS-63 to Oran, Algeria. The convoy of approximately 100 ships in 15 columns passed through the Strait of Gibraltar on 27 December and arrived at Oran the 28th.

On 2 January 1945, Neal A. Scott departed North Africa on her return voyage, escorting convoy GUS-63 to Hampton Roads. On the 3rd, at 1707, a large cloud of smoke was seen and an explosion heard from the center of the first line of the convoy. Neal A. Scott immediately started a submarine search on the starboard bow of the convoy. At 1739 good sonar contact was established and a depth charge attack begun. In the next six minutes 26 charges were dropped. Thirty seconds after the last charge detonated, the rumble of an underwater explosion, followed by the appearance of an oil slick off the escort's port quarter, was reported and sonar contact was lost. At 1755 contact was regained and a hedgehog attack was made. Two to four explosions were heard within the next half minute, and eight more were heard over a minute later, but, again, contact was lost. Contact established again at 1806, a second hedgehog run was made. This time, however, no explosions were reported and the contact was lost. Undiscouraged, the ship continued her search until relieved by British escorts at 2345. Neal A. Scott then returned to the convoy and arrived at Norfolk without further incident on 19 January.

In February, Neal A. Scott joined the Southern Forces Barrier Patrol in the North Atlantic and for the remainder of the war in Europe conducted submarine searches off the coasts of Maine, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland as part of "Operation Teardrop". On 22 April, as she steamed in a scouting line proceeding to Argentia, Newfoundland, a submarine contact was made by another escort, the destroyer USS Carter. Sixteen minutes later, at 0056, Neal A. Scott made a hedgehog attack. Several explosions were reported. At 0108, Carter delivered a similar attack which was followed immediately by two or three detonations and then by an explosion. At 0118, another, and heavier, explosion was felt and heard by all hands. Die U-518 had been sent to the bottom of the North Atlantic.

After the surrender of Germany on 7 May, Neal A. Scott was ordered to intercept U-1228 and bring her into port. While proceeding to the surrender point, U-858 was contacted and ordered to the surrender point. On 11 May, U-1228 was intercepted and after sending a boarding party to the submarine and taking on 28 of the U-boat's crew, including the Captain, the escort headed for Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where she turned over her prisoners and their boat to U.S. Coast Guard officials on 17 May.

Post-War and fate

Neal A. Scott then steamed south to Bayonne, New Jersey, for availability, after which she proceeded to Florida. On 13 June she joined the Carrier Qualification Detachment at Jacksonville, Florida, and for the next two months operated as plane guard for Guadalcanal   (CVE-60) . Detached from the Carrier Qualification Detachment, Neal A. Scott underwent availability at Charleston, South Carolina, and then headed for Corpus Christi, Texas, for Navy Day celebrations. She returned to Charleston on 4 November, only to depart again on the 7th.

From Charleston she steamed back to Jacksonville where she decommissioned on 30 April 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, berthed at Green Cove Springs, Florida. In 1961 the escort was transferred to the Orange, Texas, berthing area where she remained until struck from the Navy Register on 1 June 1968. She was sold July 1969 and broken up for scrap.


USS Weeden (DE-797) war ein Buckley-class destroyer escort in the United States Navy. She was named for Ensign Carl A. Weeden (1916�), who was killed during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

USS Ira Jeffery (DE-63/APD-44), a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Ensign Ira Weil Jeffery (1918-1941) who was killed in action during the Japanese attack on the Hawaiian Islands while serving aboard the battleship California .

USS William T. Powell (DE/DER-213), a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Gunner's Mate William T. Powell (1918-1942), who was killed in action, aboard the heavy cruiser USS San Francisco off Guadalcanal on 12 November 1942.

USS Scott (DE-214), a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Machinist's Mate First Class Robert R. Scott (1915�, who was killed in action during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, while serving aboard the battleship USS California . He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism.

USS Solar (DE-221), a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Boatswain's Mate First Class Adolfo Solar (1900�), who was killed in action during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941.

USS Spangenberg (DE/DER-223), a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Gunner's Mate Kenneth J. Spangenberg (1922-1942), who died as a result of wounds suffered during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, while serving aboard the heavy cruiser San Francisco  (CA-38) . He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.

USS Alexander J. Luke (DE/DER-577), a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Sergeant Alexander J. Luke (1916�), who was killed in action during the attack on Tulagi on 6 August 1942. He was posthumously awarded the Silver Star.

USS Major (DE-796) war ein Buckley-class destroyer escort acquired by the U.S. Navy during the latter part of World War II. She served as an escort vessel, protecting Allied ships, both in the Atlantic Ocean, and later in the Pacific Ocean. When the war with Japan ended, Major witnessed the Japanese surrender from her berth in Tokyo Bay.

USS Roche (DE-197) war ein Cannon-class destroyer escort in service United States Navy from 1944 to 1945. She hit a mine in late September 1945. As it was uneconomical to repair her, she was scuttled in March 1946.

USS Andres (DE-45) was an Evarts-class destroyer escort constructed for the United States Navy during World War II. Sent off to the dangerous waters of the North Atlantic Ocean during the Battle of the Atlantic to protect convoys and other ships from Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine U-boats and fighter aircraft, Andres performed escort and anti-submarine operations.

USS Smartt (DE-257) was an Evarts-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy during World War II. She was sent off into dangerous North Atlantic Ocean waters to protect convoys and other ships from German submarines and fighter aircraft. She performed escort and antisubmarine operations in battle areas before sailing home victorious at the end of the conflict.

USS Amick (DE-168) war ein Cannon-class destroyer escort built for the United States Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic Ocean and then the Pacific Ocean and provided escort service against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.

USS Straub (DE-181) war ein Cannon-class destroyer escort in service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1947. She was sold for scrap in 1974.

USS Garfield Thomas (DE-193) war ein Cannon-class destroyer escort built for the United States Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean and provided escort service against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.

USS Sturtevant (DE-239) was an Edsall class destroyer escort in service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1946 and from 1951 to 1960. She was scrapped in 1973.

USS Tomich (DE-242) was an Edsall-class destroyer escort in service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1946. She was scrapped in 1974.

USS Stanton (DE-247) was an Edsall-class destroyer escort built for the U.S. Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic Ocean the Pacific Ocean and provided destroyer escort protection against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.

USS Cockrill (DE-398) was an Edsall-class destroyer escortin service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1946. After spending decades in reserve, she was sunk as a target in November 1974.

USS Neunzer (DE-150) was an Edsall-class destroyer escort in service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1947. After spending several decades in reserve, she was sold for scrap in 1973.

USS Varian (DE-798) war ein Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy.


Natural History

Virtually all breed books discuss the prominent individuals within a given breed’s history in a positive light. Negative facts are usually left aside, for the focus is more on how the breed developed, not a discussion of the social, economic, and political history that made the breed possible. Granted, people do not buy dog books to understand these issues. Most people just want to read about the creation story of their dog, and the breed fanciers like to bask in the glory of the past.

However, it important to at least consider some of the negative parts of a breed’s history. As someone who prefers history to hagiography, I think it is a good idea to understand that the golden retriever would not have been possible had their not been some human suffering.

What do I mean by “human suffering”?

First of all, we have to start with who the founders of the golden retriever were.

The golden retriever’s founders were part of the economic and political elite of British society. The reason why we know so much about the dogs is that only people with considerable means would ever bother to keep such meticulous records of the dogs in their lines, and only people with that sort of wealth would even dream of keeping a dog with such a limited utility.

A dog that picks up shot game is certainly useful, but the average person could not bother with keeping or breeding such dogs. Working people needed dogs that could earn their keep. Dogs were bred according to their utility, not their pedigree, and after many generations breeding for utility only, tracing these bloodlines becomes next to impossible.

However, if one has money, time, and employees to maintain kennels, one can keep close records on the dogs. That is why we have such a complete record of the dogs at Guisachan.

Dudley Marjoribanks was not a poor man. Dudley had made a considerable fortune as chairman of the Meux Brewery Company, and he had inherited a lot of money from his father’s estate. He had a posh mansion in London’s Park Lane called Brook House. He also had holdings in the Scottish (now registration) county of Berwickshire, which was where he was born.

A Border Scot who had done well in this world, Marjoribanks began to look for new real estate. By the mid-nineteenth century, the Scottish Highlands had experienced a total image makeover. In the eighteenth century, it was seen as a backward place, full of Gaelic-speaking insurgents called Jacobites who were too busy raising hell and livestock to be recognized among the civilized.

The work of Sir Walter Scott had totally changed that popular perception. In his writings, Scotland became a romantic place, where the last vestiges of wild Britain existed alongside a turbulent history.

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert also helped changed this perception. They began visiting Balmoral in 1848, and eventually purchased the estate in 1852. This purchase set off a land boom in Scotland. All sorts of wealthy aristocrats began buying up land in Scotland.

In 1853, Dudley Marjoribanks was elected as the Liberal MP for Berwick-upon-Tweed, and it is very likely that he was caught up in the Scottish euphoria the had swept through these elite circles. His lands in Berwickshire did not count for much. He needed an estate deep within Caledonia, and you can’t get much more Caldeonian than a shooting estate in the Highlands.

Marjoribanks purchased Guisachan (“Place of the Firs”) in 1854. It was the perfect place to go grouse shooting and deer-stalking. It was also not a bad place to bring his fellow politicians for deal-making and negotiations.

Now, our popular perception of the Highlands is of a sparsely populated place with spectacular landscapes. The land is inhabited by a few shepherds and some rare wild creatures, like the Scottish wildcat.

The truth of the matter is that Highlands were not always so empty. There was once a rather large population that lived there. In Scotland, the lands were enclosed rather similarly to the way they were enclosed in England and Wales. However, these enclosures happened a little later, and they were based upon a different set of economic pressures. The tenant farmers of Scotland had lived on these estates for centuries as part of the ancient clan system of Scotland. From the mid-eighteenth century onwards, these farmers were driven off these lands to make way for sheep grazing. Many Scottish farmers were without land to work, and they were forced into a level of economic insecurity that forced them to fight for a chance to labor as virtual slave on estate or join the army (see the song “Twa Recruiting Sergeants.“)

The process of driving these large numbers of small farmers off the land to make way for sheep and cattle grazing and later for setting up posh estates for the wealthy was known as the Highland Clearances, and that is a good description for what happened. The Highlands were literally cleared of people, many of whom emigrated to other parts of Britain, as well as North America, Australia, New Zealand, and other parts of the British Empire.

In the 1850’s, there were still some estates that had tenant farmers working on their lands. When Guisachan was purchased, there were tenant farmers living there. These farmers were forced to leave.

Alexander Mackenzie (not the Canadian prime minister or the explorer) wrote the history of these clearances and worked hard to bring about reform to give these people rights. Mackenzie wrote about the Guisachan Clearances:

The modern clearances which took place within the last quarter of a century in Guisachan, Strathglass, by Sir Dudley Marjoribanks, have been described in all their phases before a Committee of the House of Commons in 1872. The Inspector of Poor for the parish of Kiltarlity wrote a letter which was brought before the Committee, with a statement from another source that, “in 1855, there were 16 farmers on the estate the number of cows they had was 62, and horses, 24 the principal farmer had 2000 sheep, the next 1000, and the rest between them 1200, giving a total of 4200. Now (1873) there is but one farmer, and he leaves at Whitsunday all these farmers lost the holdings on which they ever lived in competency indeed, it is well known that some of them were able to lay by some money. They have been sent to the four quarters of the globe, or to vegetate in Sir Dudley’s dandy cottages at Tomich, made more for show than convenience, where they have to depend on his employment or charity. To prove that all this is true, take at random, the smith, the shoemaker, or the tailor, and say whether the poverty and starvation were then or now? For instance, under the old regime, the smith farmed a piece of land which supplied the wants of his family with meal and potatoes he had two cows, a horse, and a score or two of sheep on the hill he paid £7 of yearly rent he now has nothing but the bare walls of his cottage and smithy, for which he pays £10. Of course he had his trade than as he has now. Will he live more comfortably now than he did then? “It was stated, at the same time, that, when Sir Dudley Marjoribanks bought the property, there was a population of 235 souls upon it, and Sir Dudley, in his examination, though he threw some doubt upon that statement, was quite unable to refute it. The proprietor, on being asked, said that he did not evict any of the people. But Mr. Macombie having said, “Then the tenants went away of their own free will,” Sir Dudley replied, “I must not say so quite. I told them that when they had found other places to go to, I wished to have their farms.”

They were, in point of fact, evicted as much as any others of the ancient tenantry in the Highlands, though it is but fair to say that the same harsh cruelty was not applied in their case as in many of the others recorded in these pages. Those who had been allowed to remain in the new cottages, are without cow or sheep, or an inch of land, while those alive of those sent off are spread over the wide world, like those sent, as already described, from other places. (291-93).

So to make way for his shooting estate, 235 people had to leave. We do not know their names, and we certainly do not know the names of their dogs or even what kind of dogs they owned. However, they were probably collie-types and terriers. They had an actual economic utility, but once their owners were deemed unnecessary for profit, progress, or prosperity of the elite, both the working dog and working man were sent packing.

To make way for Marjoribanks’s shooting estate and eventual development of his strain of yellow wavy-coat, people had to suffer. People lost their livelihoods and the ancient way of life.

This is the dark side of the Guisachan story that has always gone unmentioned in golden retriever histories. I apologize for not mentioning it earlier in this blog. The truth of the matter is that such facts do not often appear within the context of the story of the golden retriever.

However, the story does not end there. Dudley Marjoribanks’s daughter, Ishbel, married John Campbell Hamilton-Gordon, 1st Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair, who served as Governor-General of Canada from 1893 to 1898. They were early Social Liberals who worked very hard to improve the conditions of working people in Canada, many of whom were either immigrants or descendants of immigrants who had left Scotland as a result of the clearances.

One wonders if Ishbel (Lady Aberdeen) felt a certain amount of guilt over her family’s clearance of Guisachan. Maybe she was trying to make amends for that injustice.

Lord and Lady Aberdeen purchase the Coldstream Ranch in the Okanagan Valley, which they renamed Guisachan. On that estate, they kept some yellow wavy-coats that were of her father’s strain. These were the first goldens to be imported to North America.


Schau das Video: This DIY Hobbit House Will Completely Transform You Yar